Grand Theft Auto free download

mal

Established Member
From their web page:

In 1997, a band of developers that would come to be known as Rockstar North and Rockstar Games released the original Grand Theft Auto on an unsuspecting public. The groundbreaking non-linear urban crime game shook up a complacent game industry with its irreverent gameplay, humor and style- and a phenomenon was born.

We are now offering this classic progenitor of the Rockstar Games lineage as the first in a recurring series of Rockstar PC game downloads, absolutely free of charge. It's a chance for new fans to experience the roots of Rockstar as well as our way of saying thank you to our long-time supporters feeling that pang of nostalgia. Simply fill out the form to the right and check your email for a direct link to the file - we've even optimized the game for play on the latest and greatest computers. Now, don't say we never gave you anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Theft Auto Warning/Disclaimer:

This version of Grand Theft Auto is modified from its original version to enable support for modern PC's and current Microsoft ® Windows ® platforms. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that Grand Theft Auto will work correctly on your PC. Installation and execution of this software is entirely at your own risk.

Grand Theft Auto Important Notes - Please read the following before downloading and installing:

The size of this file is 328 MB.

This game requires the latest version of DirectX to run. If you do not have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system, you may download it from http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

After downloading Grand Theft Auto, double-click on the file (GTAInstaller.exe).

The Install program will start; follow the on-screen install instructions and choose where you would like to install Grand Theft Auto.

Grand Theft Auto will then be installed and a program group created for you in "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA".

You will NEED to run "GTA Settings" from the Program Menu BEFORE running the game for the first time.

In GTA Settings you can customize your control options and select a language (English is default).

Once you are done with GTA settings, choose "Save" to save your settings.

You can now run Grand Theft Auto! Just click on "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA > GRAND THEFT AUTO" to start.

Once in-game you can change the resolution by pressing 'F11' and choosing any of the listed resolutions.

Have fun!

Great news! You used to be able to get an "ad enabled" version from a site called Freeloader at a fraction of the download size. Still, it'll be worth it for WinXP compatibility.
smile.gif

I just noticed this

* NOTE: The information you provide on this form may be collected even if you are not eligible to download the game.

[my emphasis]

I guess it's not quite 'no strings attached'.
sad.gif

That would be right.
angry.gif

If someone from the US downloads it, can you check the licence to see if you can freely redistribute it in an unaltered form? I'd hate to advocate warez dealing on SX...
wink.gif

That web page is not loading up for me. It keeps timing out.

Edit #1:

Ok, I got in. I like how they setup this page.
laugh.gif

Edit #2:

Your download request has been accepted. Check your email for instructions and a direct link to complete your download. This link is unique to you and cannot be distributed. Once your download is complete, the link will no longer function. Remember to follow the instructions below to install the game(s).

If you do not receive your email containing your unique download link, please contact us at classics@rockstargames.com.

Their website is extremely overloaded, you'll have better luck in a few days' time once the first rush is over. I managed to get one download, but unfortunately it was corrupted.

MasterAkumaMatata: that bit you quoted is only about the download link and says nothing about the actual downloaded package. For mal and Curtis, is there anything other than your morals that prevent you from simply entering false details (like an IP block against all Australian ISPs)?

Originally posted by antime+Mar 8, 2003 @ 07:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Mar 8, 2003 @ 07:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Their website is extremely overloaded, you'll have better luck in a few days' time once the first rush is over. I managed to get one download, but unfortunately it was corrupted.[/b]

I am currently downloading that 336,307 KB file, 45% complete with about 35 minutes remaining. When done, I'll generate a CRC32 and MD5 hash value. If you still have your file, let's compare.

<!--QuoteBegin-antime
@Mar 8, 2003 @ 07:32 AM

MasterAkumaMatata: that bit you quoted is only about the download link and says nothing about the actual downloaded package. For mal and Curtis, is there anything other than your morals that prevent you from simply entering false details (like an IP block against all Australian ISPs)?[/quote]

You know, those Aussies have high morals (which is a good thing, of course).
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by antime+Mar 8, 2003 @ 11:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Mar 8, 2003 @ 11:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>For mal and Curtis, is there anything other than your morals that prevent you from simply entering false details (like an IP block against all Australian ISPs)?[/b]

To be perfectly honest I hadn't looked into it that much yet.

If it is OK to redistribute I was going to openly see if some nice person would burn me a copy.
smile.gif

If it's not, well...
wink.gif

<!--QuoteBegin-MasterAkumaMatata
@Mar 8, 2003 @ 11:43 PM

You know, those Aussies have high morals (which is a good thing, of course).
biggrin.gif
[/quote]

It's just a front.

We're all descended from convicts don't you know?
wink.gif

This has been downloadable for a while? I got an email from Rockstar about it a while ago. In any event, GTA 1 is the penultimate GTA, as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad they didn't release the 1969 expansion with it (if you have $10, buy GTA the Director's Cut on ebay - well worth it).

Back