Graphics problem playing 1meg games on 4meg

When I play Samurai Spirits 4 and Real Bout Fatal Fury with my 4meg cart, my opponent will sometimes turn into a large, single colored, pixiliated mess. Anyone hard of this problem or a remedy? I've never had this problem with Metal Slug, another 1meg SNK game or any of the Capcom games. I can't test if its the 4meg cart, but I have 2 and they both do it. I do not have a 1meg cart.

someone may correct me if im wrong but i believe the SNK games are picky when it comes to the 4-meg ram cart.

I've heard mixed reports, but one thing that's certain is that SS4 is meant to work with the 4MB carts. If it doesn't, it's either a bug in the game or a defective cart.

Because the carts have different ID codes, and SS4 explicitly checks for and accepts both the 1MB and 4MB ID codes. Actually, all the 1MB games probably do this, because Sega told developers to be compatible with both.

Most pre-1MB games from SNK (like Real Bout) have a lot of troubles running with the 4MB. Afterwoods, latest SNK Games (like Real Bout Special and KOF'97) had no issue running with the 4MB.

The one notable exception to this is Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin (aka SS4). The game was *meant* to be compatible like ExCyber said, but just wasn't °_° Blame it on the lousy programmers. On the backcover of Samurai Spirits Best Collection (T-3123G), SNK actually warns you that both Samurai Spirits should be played with the 1MB cart, that SS3 plays perfectly with the 4MB cart, and that SS4 shows bugs with the 4MB cart.

Chaz: does your source on this mention anything about why they aren't compatible with the 1MB cart? There's only one thing I can think of, and I have a hard time imagining it as a widespread problem.

My source is the backcover of SNK's game, and I doubt they would add "btw, the game doesn't work with 4MB carts because we suck ass".

Obviously, after KOF'95, SNK created a generic program for Neo Geo game convertions using the 1MB cart made for them by Sega. SS4 was the last one running on that engine, and they thought the upcoming 4MB cart would not create any issue and just make games loading faster. It didn't, with various reactions depending on the game.

I suppose there could be a memory allocation bug somewhere that happens to not be a problem with 1MB carts... or maybe I'm just not willing to accept the possibility of sloppy coding.

Back