• Rise from your gwave!

Grrrr

Discussion in 'Dreamcast' started by CyberWarriorX, Oct 12, 2001.

1. CyberWarriorX

CyberWarriorX New Member

2. mal

mal Member

It is starting to look like the begining of the end...

3. Shaneus

Shaneus New Member

Must agree... but we could (sort of) see signs of this when Headhunter was announced for a Euro only release...

Even though knowing I invested in a system that was going to be discontinued, this really hits home that theres not much time left...

*sniff*

4. Death

Death New Member

Very sad to see that one of the best systems and especially a Sega one is going down like this ..

I wish we can help somehow ... i really love Sega and dont want dreamcast to be history.

Anyway .. i think things can be fixed .. and sooner or later Sega will be back better than ever.

5. Shaneus

Shaneus New Member

I'd like to say one thing: (not really relevant, but its a good point, so bear with me)

The moment EA shafted Sega (around FIFA 98 i think), I lost all faith in them, especially after they got their footing on the Genny/MD...

Sega shafted em right back by releasing WWS on the Saturn, and the 2K titles on the DC...

For once, EA has some decent competition...

scratch that

EA is getting KILLED in the sports video game category by sega... a company who's been leading sports v. games for 10 years, gets beaten by a company whos been making em for 5...

go sega :)

Ok, you may continue... ;)

6. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get an XBox now...

7. CrazyTaxi

CrazyTaxi New Member

Pain in the @$#!#$ X-box (and Sega)!!! I want it on DC!!!!

8. 3rdman

3rdman New Member

I find it interesting the Sega is continuing on with the translation for release in Europe...In a way, they left the door open to the hardcroe fan to get a subtitled version of the game. How much could it cost? 50 bucks?

Are any places taking pre-orders for a Euro version of it?

9. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Trying...to...contain...fury!...must...not...burn...down...sega HQ...

(Note: I have not been this mad at sega sience they droped the saturn, If I do something crazy like start rambling madly, pay no attantin...ok...losing control...ending post befor I hurt someone...)

10. Shinshiro

Shinshiro New Member

i guess its time for me to learn japanese :(

or just get the euro version :)

11. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

You know the sickening part? Shenmue 2 is coming out in like EVERY country the first came out in for DC. Why doesn't sega just have it come out for DC and XBOX? In my opinion, I tyhink MS bought them out in this cases, just like they do to every company. (I hate MS, Sony, Nintendo keeps making mistakes (ex: new zelda and mini dvd's) plus now sega is becoming MS's bitch!, oh what a world :( )

12. Service Games

Service Games New Member

crap DC is officialy DEAD now in the US, I was going to buy the game but now I think I will just go find it on CDR. I may boycott sega games in the future. OR atleast go out of my way to pirate them.

13. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

have fun being banned...

anyway this is a very sad day. I never played through the first shenmue game cuz its not really my style, but its a sad day when such a hot title gets the boot from its main system... grrrr (/me hates MS 2 fold [one for buying bungie, and now this, plus for just being MS])

14. 3rdman

3rdman New Member

Wow...you guys need to relax. I'm bummed about it not being on DC too, but so what. MS has done nothing other than do what it takes to win over market share. They have done nothing illegal or even a little shady. Why weren't you guys pissed off when Sony signed (paid off) Square? Why weren't you guys pissed when Nintendo "lured" the Resient Evil franchise to their Gamecube? Why the double standard?

It seems to me that many of you hold Microsoft to an incredibly unfair standard. Sony, Nintendo, and even Sega (when they were able to afford it) have done the exact same thing.

Business-wise, it actually makes a lot of sense. Do you know how many copies of Shenmue 2 sold in Japan? 125,000 games sold! That's it! Do you know how many copies of Sonic Adventure 2 were sold here in the States? Less than 300,000! Not a single game released on the DC has sold over a million in almost a year! That's pretty lame considering the 4.5 million userbase Sega has in the US, don't you think?

Absorb those numbers and the reality becomes clear...continue to throw your money away at a dying console or salvage what you can and develop on others. If they had released it on the DC first, then it would have been a "port" and not a game worthy of the fanfare and hoopla that Microsoft will be throwing at it when it launches. Remember the Final Fantsy VII commercials for the Playstation? That's what you can expect when it is finally released. Can you see that kind of fanfare over a game that has already released on another system? No.

I, for one, will still be playing Shenmue this winter...it just means importing.

15. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you didn't intend this statement to apply to MS's behavior in general...

16. 3rdman

3rdman New Member

LOL, I meant as far as this business is concerned. No one is squeaky claen. Microsoft the least of them. My point was that they all do questionable things from time to time but nobody seems to mind...until now.

17. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Well, I minded a lot before when sony tried to destroy Bleem! for DC, they don't care if they do things the legal way or not. That was one of many reasons I hate sony. If you want info on what I am talking about, go to Bleem!'s web site and youl find some interesting info on sony and their market tactics.

18. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

its different though. Microsoft buys companys that innovate because they are too stupid to do it themselves anymore. They did back in the day, but got so rich and spoiled off of their one innovation (DOS, which wasnt much anyway) that they figured out how to rip others off (Apple, and Xerox) by copying their better Operating Systems, and now they are all rich. THey are so rich that they think they are high and mighty (witch they basically are :angry:) that whenever they see a company that has been doing good things consistently, they just purchase them.

Again, i come back to the example of Bungie, the PC and Mac software developers. They made a series of great games for Mac (Pathways to Darkness, the Marathon series), then made their way into somewhat mainstream PC with Myth: the Fallen Lords (My favorite game of all time), and its sequel Myth 2:Soulblighter. Both games did very well with critics, but didnt quite sell as well as the company would have hoped. Then the company REALLY knocks everyones pants off at E3 with Halo, a game that was and still is going to be great, and microsoft sees this and says, "hey these guys are doing good stuff, and now they are going to start making money too. Must have more money... Must buy bungie..." so, as Matt Soell, one of the head honchos and bungie said, "They made us an offer that we couldnt refuse." this has happened on a number of other occasions, and its happening again now. As you can see, there is no place in my heart for Microsoft.

Thats my 2 cents (or sense?) and how I feel about this whole subject.

(Edited by Supergrom at 3:19 am on Oct. 13, 2001)

19. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

Yea, I read bill Gates book "road to success" and another one that told the history of microsoft. I couldn't belive how increadably evil they were after reading those books. Microsoft is probably the most evil of all companies to EVER exist. They don't care about anything or anyone, in fact, the only thing they care about is their big fat check books.