GTA3 port for DC.

It seems DC users will soon be able to play GTA3. Atleast according to this page : http://www.cuser101.karoo.net/gtafreedc.html

I dont know how true this is, but there is a screen here :

1stshot_g.jpg

Yeah as anyone on DCE knows, this is probably fake. That's all they've released of their "GTA3 clone" project, one "screenshot". I almost gagged when I saw this on the front page...

Would be pretty nice. I dont believe them or not believe them, haha. I just hope it does come out and looks/plays nice. Maybe they'll add actual cars too :).

That picture just looks some a horrible Photoshop job. I doubt it will come out on DC. Plus I don't think anyone would want it to if it DID look like that.

It doesn't look photoshopped to me; it just looks like a quite bad 3d engine/render. Still, if it is a legit shot from their engine, it's not too bad for homebrew (there haven't been many 3d homebrew projects on the DC after all -- aside from ports that is).

Looks horrible but theres nothing wrong with getting your hopes up?

Ive always wondered if a port from the pc THPS3 was on anyones agenda.

I'm going to nit-pick and say that looks more like Vice City than GTA3.

Even still, it is a homebrew. it could either be a screenshot from GTA4 photoshopped, or they actually made it. For the latter, that's very impressive.

Originally posted by it290@Mar 12, 2004 @ 12:45 AM

It doesn't look photoshopped to me; it just looks like a quite bad 3d engine/render. Still, if it is a legit shot from their engine, it's not too bad for homebrew (there haven't been many 3d homebrew projects on the DC after all -- aside from ports that is).

Well it's a simple photoshop job actualy. I've worked with it for long enough to know what can be done. There are 3D renders that were made/gotten from something else but they were put in the photoshop editing. More then half the time somebody uses Photoshop they use 2 other programs with it at the same time to get what they want done.

That is a crappy Photoshop job.

There are 3D renders that were made/gotten from something else but they were put in the photoshop editing.

I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but there's really no need to use Photoshop if you want to create that type of image. It would generally be counterproductive if you're trying to fake a 3d engine.

C'mon! It doesn't take half a brain to see the fakiness of that screenshot. That is *NOT* running on the Dreamcast, and I'll tell you why:

It's a raytraced render, without antializasing or subpixel sampling.

First, the woman with rollerskates. She's self shadowing (look at the head and her left arm). But, with some clever usage of modifier volumes, that would be feasible (Alone in the Dark 4).

Second, the car. It's reflection looks like a cubemap reflection (you can see the palmtree behind it reflected on the top) rendered in real time. The Dreamcast doesn't support cubemaps, and even if it were a PS2-level trick, like rendering a sphere-distorted view of the surroundings in a single envornment map texture, it would be very, very hard, if not impossible on the DC. I don't recall a single Dreamcast game that used render-to-texture.

Also, it has a little too many polygons, don't it? Looks almost as tesselated as the cars in Ferrari F355 Challenge. As I remember, GTA3 didn't have such high detail vehicles, and I doubt it would run at acceptable speeds if it did.

And there's a semi-transparent hole in it's shadow shadow (to the left of the frontmost tire). It's the glass' shadow, probably caused by the fact the car doesn't have a bottom. Modifier volumes shadows can NOT vary based on transparency. Only raytracing can produce such effect with such sharpness.

Third, the palmtrees. They are self-shadowing. Okay, again, this is possible with modifier volumes, but if you look at the second from left to right, you'll see it's leaves are shadowing each other, and the shadow portrai the leaves' alphas with accuracy. That is NOT possible with modifier volumes (or stencil shadows)! The only ways to get an alpha mask to affect the shadow is use z-buffer shadows (with alpha test), use projective textures (render model black on white background viewed from the lightsource into a texture, project it from the light's viewpoint into other models), or raytracing. Since raytracing is the only method that'll produce sharp shadows, it's definitively the one used in the shot.

Fourth, the ground texture. Look at the ground close to the view, it's texture has sharp details. No console or videocard on earth can do such thing! That's a procedural texture created by raytracing.

So, this screenshot is total foobar!

Back