Guardian Heroes sprite ripping

Could somebody tell me what programs would be needed to extract spritres from Guardian Heroes, or what information I need to be looking for in the game files in order to do it myself? If anybody could give me a hand with this I'd appreciate it. I'm tired of doing it manually through SSF.

I dunno, but if you manage to, make sure you get Super Zur's sprites. That guy is awesome.

I figure I'd like to try at this again, but I really don't have a clue where to begin. Anybody have some general advice for sprite ripping? It'd be fine even if I knew the sort of thing to look for in hex data. I don't even care if I get the palettes right.

There was some tool that can record only the changed pictures of a selected frame or location, as it was developed for sprite ripping, but I don't remember the name of it.

You could try recording a video of the gameplay and then copy the frames with VirtualDub to Paint Shop Pro. Camtasia can do recording at relatively low filesizes if you do on-the-fly compression (with a lossless codec included in it).

Video capture? Argh, that would produce horribly blurred sprites!

I got a better way to do it:

Run the game in SSF 6, disable the background layers and take some screenshots (or capture it using some desktop capture tool) during the character animations. Since SSF 6 runs super slow on anything, it's easier to not miss any frames.

But you'll have to take care to keep the game from zooming out. I think it runs at 100% zoom most of the time if you're in single player.

You can also use the lv 200 cheat, go into versus mode, pick that small peasant kid as human-controlled oponnent, and move it either far into the background or into foreground (using L and R), so it becomes out of view, while being horizontally close to P1 (keeping the zoom at 100%).

If you do 1:1 video capture it won't blur the sprites at all. It will record whats going on the screen pixel by pixel.

I've actually been using that method with SSF up until now, but I'm more interested in actually extracting and editing the actual game data than taking manual sprite rips through an emulator. I'm just at a loss at how to interpret the files.

A video capture won't produce ideal results, Borisz. Not with my card, at least.

I'll take a look at the cd when I get home tonight, but IIRC each character in the game had a binary file on the cd associated with them. I don't know what program you can use to look for the sprite data, maybe some of the tools people use to find the font?

Originally posted by Borisz@Thu, 2005-02-17 @ 06:27 PM

If you do 1:1 video capture it won't blur the sprites at all. It will record whats going on the screen pixel by pixel.

Not unless you're capturing over RGB (are there any modern capture cards that do this? My IV-24 in my Amiga can, but it can only grab individual frames). Both NTSC and PAL have a relatively low color resolution so unless the only change between the sprite's pixels and the pixels around it is a luma (i.e. how bright it is) change, there will be some blur. Add this in with analog signal loss (particularly over composite or even worse RF) and it's a rather undesirable way to capture sprites. Of course if you have no other options, it's better than nothing.

I'm sure that high end hardware capable of doing that exists, but even with an RGB signal, it's still not going to be pixel accurate.

I'm not talking about using video/rf/composite/rgb/whatever out on the videocard, but using a tool that can record stuff from your desktop. Like FRAPS, HyperCam, Camtasia, etc.

I've done so with many games before to catch anigifs or sprites, and they are exactly the same as the emulators/games output, as that is what the tool records.

Back