Gunstar Heroes

Is it just me or does anyone think they should make a new Gunstar Heroes?

Either on GBA or a complete revamp of it on another system (which could prove to be a bad move since it's such a great classic). Even a simple GBA port would be good because that game is just way to awesome!

I'd like to see it on a console, personally. I think it could be awesome. The problem with these types of games on the GBA is that the bullets are just too small to really deal with (IMHO).

Try Alien Hommid, it might hold you over til publishers come to their senses :D

(although that might be a while)

I just got AH the other day. It's good, but the gameplay is somewhat unpolished- many of the enemies don't telegraph their attacks, which makes it feel kind of cheap, plus the foreground layer and explosions often obscure bullets, and the game has its fair share of bugs- the GC version seems to have vsync turned off, and the first time I played an enemy appeared that I just couldn't kill- my bullets went right through him. I've also heard of the game suddenly crashing on both platforms. A good effort, but nowhere near as the games it was inspired by.

Don't get me wrong - you should still buy the game. It's great for a small developer (a small developer that's not Treasure, anyway). Just don't go in expecting it to rival Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes.

Yeah I'll still eventually pick it up, but I'm just wondering if I should wait for it to dip bellow $30.

I don't usually pay more than $20 for a game :)

Well, it's up to you. ;) I think it'll be in plentiful supply for a while, but it may not be around forever. It's still better than 90% of the other GCN games out there. I think it's well worth the $30, especially to show support for a small dev house, but with all the other great games coming out right now, it might be sensible to wait a bit.

i heard treasure wanted to make a sequal for gba, but the original crew who worked on gunstar heroes were hard to get a hold of. think it was in an interview. picked up alien hommid, pretty fun.

Also, I believe part of the Gunstar Heroes trademark is owned by Sega, but since Treasure is pretty tight with Sega I don't think that would be an issue.

Frankly, if Treasure went to do something on the DS, I'd prefer a new, fresh game with some of the Treasure magic we all know and love, than a port/rehash.

Coming from Treasure, even if it were named "Gunstar Heroes", it would be a totally different game.

the problem is alien homide is that it was initially a small flash game and was later more or less 1:1 converted to console.. and it shows. it's great and funny and all, but way unbalanced gameplay and hard as fucking hell cause of it. and what makes it worse, it's unfair.. not simply hard, but unfair. i.e. your character falls rather slowly, i.e. at the second boss, to avoid one attack and hit him you have to be on a platform, but when it changes over to a beam attack, it will always hit you if you aren't at the edge of the small platform, cause you fall too slowly to avoid the beam and touch it on the way down.

It’s been said about Gunstar Heroes that it’s one of the coolest platform games & better than anything the SNES has to offer.

I found the gameplay boring, the graphics not that great compared other platformers & the music was very annoying even for Genesis standards.

Some level were just never ending boss fights, especially that dice-maze level. (Now I understand where Radiant Silvergun Boss fights were inspired from.)

It’s very overrated imho.

taken from racketboy's blog:

Gunstar Heroes Returns?

From IGN:

"Sega has recently registered Gunstar Super Heroes as a new trademark, hinting that the company is in the works with a new game based on its incredibly well-received Genesis action shooter Gunstar Heroes developed by Treasure more than a decade ago.

When contacted, the company would not comment on the registered trademark or which system the game may be in development for. It's also unknown if the game is a console or handheld title.

If it's a remake or remix of the classic Genesis and Megadrive game, the most appropriate home would be the Game Boy Advance due to its massive install base and its inherent ability to accurately reproduce games from the 16-bit era. Sega's Sonic Advance series, as well as the numerous Genesis and Super NES ports from other publishers are a testament to this.

As we know more about the development, we'll keep on this one."

:smash

I've been really excited since hearing about this, but I want Treasure to take the reins. It just wouldn't be proper otherwise. Also, I'd rather have the game on a console.. it would just be better that way.

Music isn't the GBA's strong point, I doubt Gunstar Heroes will sound any better than it did on Genesis.

The only similar game I've seen on the PCE is Shubibiman 3 for the DUO which is a mixture of Sparkster & Gunstar Heroes, but it's not as well animated & has less enemy sprites on screen than Gunstar Heroes...Is it so is it my idea? That's strange as I thought PCE DUO was more powerful than the basic Genesis.

What other similar games are there for the PCE HuCard or DUO CD?

Back