Gunstar Heroes

Oh yes. The variety in the gameplay coupled with Treasure's usual dementedness..
wub.gif

One of the best two-play cooperative games there is.

Wait, here comes JohnD:

"This game stinks it's rubbish I hate it. I hate games all of them with their 'fun' and their 'quality design' if you like games then you're stupid :angry:"

Technically, this game pushed the Megadrive further than just about anything else at the time. Stretching, contorting and rotating sprites were considered SNES only graphical effects... until Treasure brought out this graphically astounding (for a 16bit system :p) platform shooter.

The gameplay itself was in your face and unrelenting, as you'd expect from Treasure. However, even with their awesome trademark bosses (they do them best IMO :) it was too easy and a bit short for me. If it wasn't for the great two player action, there wouldn't be a whole lot to come back for.

I don't mind if a game is a bit short or easy, as long as it's as much fun to play as Gunstar Heroes! Awesome bosses, beautiful set-pieces, fast-paced action, nice weapons system, excellent co-operative multiplayer and wonderful graphics and sound. Everything a game should be! Treasure rule, bring on Ikaruga
biggrin.gif

I really enjoyed this game. One of my fav's of the megadrive. Has some elements that remind me a little of metalslug. Great two player action as well.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Aug. 14 2002, 8:21 am

Do you like this fast paced platformer?

no, whats the next game of the day combat cars i mean honestly it just goes from poor to poor, i think its time to stop the game of the day its a pointless endevar to get news on the home page and to get people to post on your message board.

Technically, this game pushed the Megadrive further than just about anything else at the time. Stretching, contorting and rotating sprites were considered SNES only graphical effects...

What? Gunstar Heroes doesn't do any of this that I can remember... it does some neat animation stuff, but all of it is by using multiple linked sprites and clever artwork IIRC.

Also, SNES can't really do this sort of thing either; AFAIK the only game to make extensive use of any kind of sprite deformation was Yoshi's Island, which uses a SuperFX2 to do it... pretty much everything else that does it is either using predrawn sprites or using a Mode 7 background for a character instead of a sprite. Using Mode 7 is a rather limited technique and requires some clever programming to do anything interesting.

Hey Ex :) Haven't chatted with you for a while...

Anyway, as far as graphical effects go, I was originally referring to stuff like sprite rotation, like the helecopter in one of the earlier levels that sways from side to side. There are also a couple of "jello" like bosses that contort and stretch pretty obviously.

You're right in that there are a bunch of clever animations in Gunstar that basically pull together traditional graphical techniques to great effect. Very clever and inovative stuff.

BTW, whether it was using the Mode 7 technology or not, a lot of SNES games (starting way back with Super Mario World) made extensive use of sprite rotation and scaling... which were the technical height and bees knees of graphical effects back then :p

Anyway, as far as graphical effects go, I was originally referring to stuff like sprite rotation, like the helecopter in one of the earlier levels that sways from side to side. There are also a couple of "jello" like bosses that contort and stretch pretty obviously.

Hmm... I'm not sure what those are doing, but it seems pretty likely that they're using a cleverly rowscrolled BG layer and some predrawn sprites. It is an awesome effect requiring some significant programming skill, but I don't think it amounts to scaling and rotation.

BTW, whether it was using the Mode 7 technology or not, a lot of SNES games (starting way back with Super Mario World) made extensive use of sprite rotation and scaling...

Except that it wasn't extensive. Most games that used a Mode 7 background to animate enemies used it exclusively for bosses. The reason? You can only move the whole background layer, so you can't animate more than one character in this way without some big limitations.

nice fast paced game, i liked how u could combine two different weapons to get an enhanced weapon that has both weapons characteristics... btw, the best combo is lightning and the tracer :p

Never heard of this game until one day I tried out the ROM just for kicks.  I was really suprised at the action.  My roommates were all looking at me funny as all they heard was the sound affects of my blowing up a whole bunch of guys
smile.gif

A unique game with a lot of flair.  Definately pushed the Genny.  Gotta love Treasure.  They have been so good to Sega.  Now I'm just waiting for Ikaruga
smile.gif

Gunstar Heroes,

Without a question an A-1 title. At first I though it was a SEGA-CD title, utter shock when learned it was running the the Genny. A testiment of how GENESIS games are suppose to be.

Yes, this game really rules! I have played it lots with my friends. That homing, vertical green lazer is really devestating.

Whatever these effects are, they are amazing for Megadrive.

I love the Seven-Force boss! Its simply amazing.

This is one of the best titles in the megadrive´s catalogue.

Treasure made a great job and closed a lot of mouths that claimed that megadrive was outdated.

The bosses were made with several sprites but I think there are effects of deformations, rotations and all that, not just animation. Never mind, and awesome game (Treasure did what Konami couldn´t).

Originally posted by RedAngel@Aug. 15 2002, 3:06 am

(Treasure did what Konami couldn´t).

I don't know about that.. Contra:Hard Corps probably does equally impressive things with the hardware for me.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug. 14 2002, 10:53 am

Technically, this game pushed the Megadrive further than just about anything else at the time. Stretching, contorting and rotating sprites were considered SNES only graphical effects...

What? Gunstar Heroes doesn't do any of this that I can remember... it does some neat animation stuff, but all of it is by using multiple linked sprites and clever artwork IIRC.

Also, SNES can't really do this sort of thing either; AFAIK the only game to make extensive use of any kind of sprite deformation was Yoshi's Island, which uses a SuperFX2 to do it... pretty much everything else that does it is either using predrawn sprites or using a Mode 7 background for a character instead of a sprite. Using Mode 7 is a rather limited technique and requires some clever programming to do anything interesting.

what about red zone for megadrive?that did rotation,scaling and a host of other cool effects.sorry to move off the topic of gunstar heroes.

This game is a beautiful piece of software. Crafted with ingenious chaos and an awesome smorgasboard of events! I love blasting everything in sight and tossing those cronies across the screen, slamming them into a wall or detailed object. Treasure kicks serious ass and uses the Genesis motherboard to produce maximum spritage and a unique pitching array of sounds!

I doubt if you say anything interesting enough to make anyone cry. This niche your trying to carve as the 'angry guy' is getting pretty boring.

Back