Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Cloud121

Established Member
Ladies and Gentlemen of SX:

Five years ago on this very day, the game I had waited an excrutiating two years for finally came out.... Final Fanta...

UGH!

I mean Five Years ago on this very day, the greatest console was released. Hype had been surrounding it for months, hoping Sega would get it right this time. Needless to say, the hype was worth it. Soul Calibur, NFL 2K, and Sonic Adventure were the top titles of the launch crop. Among other great games were Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom, Ready 2 Rumble, etc. It broke records with it's vast number of launch titles, and number of consoles sold within a 24 hour period.

After this great launch, killer apps seemed lacking. NBA 2K was probably the hottest new game before the games came, and came, and kept coming. Six months after launch, NBA 2K the only game to quench your thirst of killer games (that is, if you were bored of the launch titles), until this six month drought was up. Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, NHL 2K, Resident Evil: CODE Veronica, Virtua Tennis, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, D2, among others. The year 2000 was the time for this console to shine, despite people saying that a certain upcoming console would crush it in one night.

2000 also saw a truly ground-breaking event occur: Online-Gaming via Game Console. X-Band and Netlink aside, this was TRUE online gaming. Sega had servers set up ready to go. Chu Chu Rocket made by Yuji Naka and Sonic Team, was the world's first online console video game. Established and pioneered by this particular console, it would become the benchmark, by which all future console online games was measured. SegaNet. Despite major lag issues with Chu Chu Rocket, it was (and still is) a monumental event in the history of video games. This console made it a reality.

A few months later, the world's first Cel-Shaded Graphics game was released. Jet Set Radio. The only Cel-Shaded game available for about two years, it's home was this console. The Sega Scream would make a comeback later that year. Truly a moment long awaited by long-time Sega fans everywhere. A new era was beginning. NFL 2K1, NBA 2K1, and Quake III: Arena laid the foundation for SegaNet to stay to this very day.

This console's primary competition, was released to much hype on October 26, 2001. Lack of consoles, and hardware problems (big suprise eh? ) caused many to flock towards Sega's console. Many were happy with their purchases, NFL 2K1 was (and still is) a much better game than ANY Madden.

A few weeks after the competition's launch, another truly ground-breaking game was released. Shenmue, created by famed Yu Suzuki, was released on November 11, 2001. Many loved it, many hated it. Hate for it's slow pace, love for it's total immersion. It was (and still is) a game for the ages. Early in 2001, Phantasy Star Online was released. The world's first online console RPG, was truly ground-breaking, and again, only on this console for close to two years. Amid all these great times, trouble arose:

Sega announced that their newest console, would be their last, and would be discontinued a year later. Many a fan were aghast at this announcement. Whereas many a fanboy, laughed at both Sega and its fans. Many more great games would be released for this console throughout it's final years:

Sonic Adventure 2

Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2

NFL 2K2

NBA 2K2

NCAA College Football 2K2

NHL 2K2

World Series Baseball 2K2

Tennis 2K2

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Grandia II

Skies of Arcadia

Crazy Taxi 2

Capcom vs SNK

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Power Stone 2

Shenmue II (Import)

Headhunter (Import)

Rez (Import)

Ikaruga (Import)

Fire Pro Wrestling D (Import)

New Japan Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden 4 (Import)

Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix: Dreamcast Edition (Import)

Dance Dance Revolution Club Version: Dreamcast Edition (Import)

Bio Hazard CODE: Veronica Complete (Import)

Capcom vs SNK Pro (Import)

Capcom vs SNK 2 (Import)

Super Street Fighter II X for Matching Service (Import)

Super Puzzle Fighter II X for Matching Service (Import)

Garou: Mark of The Wolves (Import)

The Last Blade 2 (Import)

The King of Fighters 2000 (Import)

The King of Fighters 2001 (Import)

The King of Fighters 2002 (Import)

Border Down (Import)

Shikigami no Shiro II (Import)

Psyvariar 2 (Import)

Puyo Puyo Fever (Import)

Among many others...

This game console was discontinued on February 17, 2002. WAY before it's time. Many believed it's time had already passed (2000). And yet, to many, despite being pushed to it's absolute limit close to only six months after it's launch with Dead or Alive 2, many felt it had much more potential. It still does, as true fans are continuing the legacy with independent development.

The year 2004 breathed much needed life into the DC Homebrew scene. The release of Super Famicast in January brought SFC/SNES emulation back to the Dreamcast, as DreamSNES had long been discontinued. February 2004 brought quite possibly the biggest release in the history of the Homebrew DC Scene. Beats of Rage. This one little beat 'em up, took the homebrew scene by storm. Originally developed for DOS/Windows based computers, it has since been ported to PlayStation 2, XBox, Dreamcast, and Palm OS. It was also easily moddable. With dedicated players putting in their own sprites, artwork, and backgrounds for use in their own versions of the game. Mods of Rage is the place to go for these mods. Also in mid-2004, the world's first personal PSO server was created. Thanks to Schtack, Phantasy Star Online was, well... online again! After several bugs were discovered initially, everything went smooth. Just a couple months ago, Schtack released the server software so others could create their own servers for use in the PSO World.

This console brought Sega back from the depths.

It brought them respect.

It brought their fans back.

It established Sega as a force to be reckoned with.

It made console online gaming possible.

It made emulation on a console a reality.

It made everyone sit up and take notice. $ony wasn't the only powerhouse in gaming. Sega was striking back, and with a vengeance. But $ony, with all it's faceless drones and slaves, managed to stop the onslaught.

As of February 18, 2002, Sega, the world's most innovative and greatest game company, abandoned the hardware business, for an undetermined amount of time. Leaving in it's wake, the Sega SG-1000, Sega SG-3000, Sega Mark III/Master System, Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, Sega Mega/Sega CD, Sega Super/Mega/Genesis 32x, Sega Saturn, and this very console.

The console I speak of is...

The Sega Dreamcast

September 9, 1999 to February 17, 2002

*Sniff* I love my Dreamcast... *Cuddles his Dreamcast*

Great Dreamcast Sites:

Planet Dreamcast

IGN Dreamcast

Dreamcast History

SegaXtreme

Segagaga Domain

Dreamcast section of Play-Asia

Dreamcast section of Lik-Sang

I still need to add more to try and make the essay fresh....

Where were YOU at 12:00 AM September 9, 1999?

What will you be doing to honor our fallen loved one this day?

Thanks to whoever fixed the links. :)

What was I doing?

I was obviously in bed, only having trouble sleeping, thinking about Final Fantasy VIII as I was a huge $ony fanboy at the time. All I could think about was picking up the game on the 11th. Imagine My joy when my dad let me go get it on the 10th!

What am I doing to celebrate?

I revised last year's essay, slept with my Dreamcast last night, had breakfast with my Dreamcast this morning, I'm going to play nothing but Dreamcast today (Launch titles only), and I'll most likely be sleeping with my DC again tonight. :p

I worked at a mall when it came out. I remember heading out after closing. Here was this huge line at the door. Man was I confused. Why were so many people standing in front of Gamestop at 10:00 PM at night? They were waiting for the store to open at 12:01 AM. What a bunch of freaks. Man do I wish I was there now. I didn't get a DC until about 2 years later.

I meant to post this earlier today but being swamped and all at work I had very little time, any hoo, happy 5 year to this awesome system, 9-9-99 was a great day indeed, for sega and videogamers everywhere.. :cheers :cheers :cheers

I got mine shortly after release - preordered it (from kb toys, I think), and got a DC t-shirt (which kind of sucks, unfortunately) to go along with it. The next couple of days I went out hunting for games and a memory card -- Blue Stinger and Sonic Adventure were the first two games I bought. It's a shame Sega decided to quit releasing software in the US so early- many of the DC's best titles didn't come out until late in the game (Rez, Ikaruga, Shenmue 2, etc).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Amen Brother... amen.... one of the greatest consoles ever... I pour out this bottle :cheers "for my dead system"..... :bow :bow :bow

when it came out here in Australia, my friend took the bus to pick up his console that he had pre-order while we all waited at his house for him to return. He had all of the cash for his console in his wallet, no more no less (a few hundred).

he successfully picked up his console and then cought another bus home, with his console wrapped in a big black bag. He wisely placed the console under his bus seat. about half-way to his house a bunch of wigga's mugged him on the bus and ran off with his wallet, that now had nothing in it.

Luckily the console survived and he wasnt to stressed about the whole incident!

I'm not the nostalgic type, so I didn't bust out the Dreamcast today. However it is always hooked up to my TV, and I still play King of Fighters '98 and Jet Set Radio on it semi-regularly. I always play through Shenmue and Shenmue II at least once a year. One of these days I'll pick up the 60-some games on my to buy list....

Not to mention, 9.9.99 is the single greatest release date of all time. Something about the four 9s.

Great post, but can someone please remove it from the news section? No offense, but this thing is HUGE.

Creating a new post, and create a link to this one.

Hello all!!! I'm new to the scene. I remember when the dreamcast came out. My son kept harping to me about it. I was really hesitant to shell out the 250 dollars for it come Christmas time, joking to him about how it would probably die off quicker than the saturn and probably be worth 50 bucks the following year :blink: )

The first game I bought for it was Blue Stinger. I hated the console but over time have learned to love it. Now I play it more than my PS2 and [X]. I even took my dreamcast with me when it came time to go to IRAQ. Happy Birthday Dreamcast!!!

Actually the DC scared me at first... the "ITS THINKING" commercials, and the demo of SA, i was really intimidated by the machine... or was that the drugs... hrmmm. But then about 2 months before the release of SA2 i found myself shelling out my cash for the Sonic adventure collection box with blue VMU and all. I popped in Sonic adventure and BAMM, havent put the controller to this system down.

Dont get me wrong ive always been a sega fan, but this system truly made me creeped out at first, i could swear the fucker was REALLY thinking. uhhhh, dont take LSD while playing CRAZY TAXI

Very good article about the best console ever! It will live on long yet!

I dont remember what I did on that release day... so I cant add some nice comment on that. Sorry... I got my DC a year ago so...

nice article indeed - but ChuChu the first online game? Come on, there were several netlink games for the Saturn and there even was a strategy game for the Genesis in Japan that used a modem (Advanced Military Commander or something like this) to let people play together. The Dreamcast was the first console to make good use of an online service especially created for it (though some kind of service existed for early Nintendo systems, although just for downloading games, not for playing against other players).

PSO was the real online revolution imho, this paved the way for online console gaming in general.

Back