Hard disk problems

mal

Established Member
I've got a 2.1GB HD that's giving me problems.

I've been trying to use it in a USB case under DOS (which is possible but that's another story). I formatted it as a FAT partition and I thought it ended up being under the 2GB limit.

When I tried running it, it wouldn't work properly; It recognizes the drive, but would freeze if I tried to access it. I figured that perhaps I had my sums wrong and it was over the 2GB limit after all.

To make sure I was under, I split the partition into two, but I think that something went wrong along the way. Win2k can read the drives OK, but DOS doesn't seem to (even on an ATA bus). Partition Magic tells me:

Disk 2 appears to have partitions created using different dive geometry. This could lead to data loss.

No partition manipulations should be made to the disk using this product or the OS's products. You should back up the data on the disk, delete all partitions, create new partioins under the new drive geometry and then restore your data using the backup.

Which would all be fine and dandy if PM would allow mw to delete the partions and start again. It won't. It doesn't even see the partitions as such. It just shows the disk as being 'bad'. Each time I try to reformat it with PM it cites errors that stop it. :damn:

Does anyone know of another disk tool that will just let me nuke the partitions and start from scratch?

indeed, win2k's disk manager tool is pretty usefull :)

Just a note, that 2gb limit is only on FAT16, i think FAT32 doesn't have probs with that.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Aug 31, 2003 @ 07:14 PM

indeed, win2k's disk manager tool is pretty usefull :)

Just a note, that 2gb limit is only on FAT16, i think FAT32 doesn't have probs with that.

You would be correct.

Back