hard drive problem

ok i'll short story this.

i was downloading some bootlegs and the program i was using froze so i control alt deleted and ended the program but it wasn't shuting down. so i tried to restart and my computer wouldn't restart. so i powered it off manually. ok then after that windows wouldn't boot up it'd get to the loading windows screen before the password screen and just stay there forever.

i reformated and reinstalled windows on my main hard drive and it works but when i tried to hook up my spare hard drive the one that has all my music on it (also the one i was downloading to) the same thing happens as before it wont log into windows(just freezes on the loading windows screen).

I have windows xp prof both hard drives are western dig. the main one with windows is set as master the other slave with the jumpers. oh and also when i have the 2nd drive hooked up it goes to a weird bios screen on start up where i have to press delet to continue. so anyone have any ideas feel free to help.

i have pictures of the screens and also the way i have my boot options in the system setup. but the board doens't allow uploads now for some reason so if you want to take a look message me on here or on aim or yahoo.

Can you acess the drive at all before entering windows? Can you access the drive in dos, or do you use NTFS?

Look into BartPE, Just google it and it will be the first one to come up. Its like the windows Preinstalled envrioment. You can use your PC in a windows format but it boots off the Cd. Really very helpful at work.

If you dont feel like creating it yourself I could probably send you an iso from work to burn and try.

well i mean the thing is it shows up as being there when installing windows and it even shows up on the one screen if i could post it i would but i dont know how to get access to it and the prog you mentioned i'll look into it even though i really dont know what you said by it.

alright thanks for that but can you remove your image?

[img=http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/6233/dscf00023be.th.jpg]

(screen that comes up when booting with 2nd hard drive attached)

URL=http://img459.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00038um.jpg]
dscf00038um.th.jpg
[/url]

(screen it stays on forever when booting with 2nd hard drive)

(my boot config in my system setup)

Ok that boot image isnt really a big deal, in all likelyhood it just means you need to autodetect your HDs in the BIOS, but it shouldnt have an effect on your PC booting or not. Try booting in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly before windows starts and itll give you an option) and see if you can boot up that way. Also try putting the second drive on the second IDE channel instead of having it be a slave on the first. Double check your jumper settings as well. (Probably not jumper settings since they both show up on the POST screen). If you can get Windows to start in safe mode then run chkdsk on your secondary drive. Hope that helps.

when trying to load in safe mode it does the same thing as in reg. and i had the 2nd hard drive hooked up with the ribon cable of my dvd drive before i put it with the ribon cable of the primary hard drive.

ok i tried bartpe and i can get into the bartpe thing but when i have my 2nd hard drive hooked up trying to use the file access program that comes with bartpe it doesn't work(never loads the program) but when i have the 2nd hard drive unhooked i can run the program.

Try BartPE with just the secondary hard drive hooked up, not the primary. It's possible that your HD is just b0rked. Have you listened to the drive the see if its spinning up properly?

ya i was able to start bartpe with only the 2nd hard drive hooked up just no info showed on it. the weird thing is one time and one time only right after i reinstalled windows the 2nd hard drive showed up in the mycomputer area with it's actual name (i titled it nirvanalives because it was mainly just a huge storage area of everything i had of nirvana). but even then it didn't work right. but ya bartpe loaded with just the 2nd hard drive hooked up just didn't show any of the stuff on it.

i also hope that running bartpe didn't erase any of the info on the hard drive i mean honestly when this problem started the only hard drive i was worried about reformating was the 2nd because it has all this nirvana stuff that took me a long time to get.

Ok, the filesystem on your second HD is most likely seriously fucked up if nothings showing up on it and it has no volume name. I would recommend using a utility such as GetDataBack NTFS to recover what you can (if its an NTFS filesystem, use the FAT version otherwise). You will need sufficient space on a different volume to recover the files to. You may have some luck with that assuming it's just the filesystem is all that's screwed and not the HD itself. Since the HD is actually showing up in the POST screen its not totally dead. Good luck, you'll most likely be facing some data loss but hopefully you'll be able to recover most of your stuff.

On another note, I hope that WinFS is better reliability-wise than NTFS has been. I've lost track of how many corrupted partitions I've had with NTFS.

Running BartPe should not alter any of the data on your drive that I know of. Also GetDataBack that It290 recomended is available as a plugin for bartPe.

Your data should be there but the PC has no way to understand how to get to it if the table got screwed.

Alternativly, if you find that the drive actually has a problem, Freezing it for a half hour or so then hook it back up and see if you have any luck.

Iv tried that with 2 drives, worked on one, didnt work on the other.

ok i did something that most likely isn't recomended but i basically booted up windows then plugged the 2nd hard drive in. at first it didn't register at all then i went into system and device manager and hit refresh and it showed the 2nd hard drive listed. the only thing is in windows explorer i can't see it i ran that getdataback program at first it wasn't detecting it till i did the device manager refresh. ok now here's the weird thing when i look at the properties of the 2nd hard drive in that program for the file system it doesn't say NTFS like the first one it says (Secure File System(Peter Gutmann)). what the fuck is up with that and what should i do now?

Recently I took my 120GB NTFS drive to my brother's

house. He connected it to his computer, booted up and

imported the drive using "import foreign disk". It came

up and he was able to copy files. When I brought the

drive back to my computer (where it originally came

from), it would not reactive or import.

I then downloaded a program from Runtime(.org) called

System Info and it stated the drive was a "(Secure File

System (Peter Gutmann))" not an NTFS. Well, I managed to

find out there is a single byte in the partition record

that tells what type of partition it is. Mine had somehow

become the Secure File System (42h) instead of NTFS

(07h). I took the drive to a friend's house and he used

DiskExplorer by Acronis and edited that one byte. After

two reboots, the drive was back to normal. I double-

checked my other drives and one other drive was

configured this way as well, but showed no problems. I

fixed it anyway without any problems.

My question is this, does anyone know how or why that

byte changed? Has anyone run across this problem before?

Could it be a virus that no one has heard of yet (I

checked)? Thanks for any light that can be shed on this

Looks like the partition ID got trashed, youll have to change it back unless you can force GetDataBack to treat it as NTFS anyway. Not a good sign.

ya exp since honestly i woudlnt know how to edit it over to ntfs unless i had a really good step by step guide

Well, looks like that disk explorer program will do it. Linux fdisk will do it too, not sure about windows fdisk but probably. I can walk you through it on AIM or something if you want to download a Knoppix LiveCD or something like that.

well getdataback was able to spot all the info on the disk the only thing is i have the trial so i can't copy it. so now i'm looking into the editing it back to ntfs thing.

Back