Having problems burning mode1&mode2 games?

You know those mean 2 data track saturn games (1st track as MODE1 and the second track as MODE2 with a 3 second pregap.. games which has this: Tokimeki Memorial, Langrisser 3&5, Sentimental Graffiti, Nights Christmas, etc etc.) which older burners can burn up fine if the images are ripped in RAW bin/cue format.

Another story is, if you try to change the image's country code. You can't change a RAW image's country code without messing up the ECC system of the image.. thus the image gets corrupted. If you try to rip the data tracks from the image, the MODE2 track will get corrupted, because of the 3 second pregap. Usually the mode 2 track doesn't have a filesystem, but it has speech, which is streamed straight from the track, so if even ONE byte gets deleted or moved to another position, the speech goes out of sync.

I had this problem because I have to change every image to match europe's country code.

Finally, I discussed about this problem with my hacker for our Ys IV PCE CD project, and he came up with a solution in 5 minutes! He wrote me a program which RIPS the FIRST mode1 track from the BIN (of course the image HAS to be in ripped in RAW mode.) as MODE1/2048 (cooked). Then I can change the country code safely without messing up the BIN. Then, I re-insert the mode1 track BACK to the original BIN as MODE1/2352, and the program automatically makes corrections to the ECC system of the bin, thus the BIN doesn't corrupt at all! This way you can burn perfect 2 data track games without any problems in CDRWIN. The Mode2 track will not be touched at all. I've tried this proggie with 4 games and it works perfectly..(Tokimemo, SentiGraffiti, Langrissers 3 and 5)

So I'm positive that it works with other games as well.

I hope that this program will help others as well.

SegaXtreme folks are welcome to put this proggie to the utilities page, if you find it useful.

Track1 utility thingie by Neill Corlett:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/peukku/files/Track1.zip

I hope this helped.

-Akimaru

After you've change the country code to the BIN, can't you just use CDmage to scan the BIN for corruption and rebuild the ECC system if it finds any errors?

No, I tried that also. CDmage couldn't repair it correctly, because it didn't find the ECC errors. Dunno why, could've been my images.

I've done that (correct ECCs with cdmage) to normal bin images, but no dual-data ones.

Quote: from Akimaru on 9:34 am on Nov. 24, 2001

No, I tried that also. CDmage couldn't repair it correctly, because it didn't find the ECC errors. Dunno why, could've been my images.
What about ECCRegen v1.4 or above? Although the FAQ says it's for RAW PSX images, it should work for dual mode Saturn images as well. Here is the list of the new features as of version 1.4:

• Support for mode 1 image format.
  • Support for mode 2 form 2 sector format.
  • Autodetection of image format.
  • Suppor for CloneCD image format (not tested).
  • Multiple selection of sectors (via shift+click or ctrl+click).
  • “Check selected” and “Uncheck selected” commands.
  • Implemented secure scanning (check both EDC and ECC).
  • Added automatic installer and uninstaller (Inno Setup).

Back