Help with Apple Logic Pro 7

A friend of mine is having some trouble getting it to work. He has a Roland D-50 connected to a MOTU MIDI controller, which is connected to a G5 (powerful system, quad 2.5 Ghz, 2.5 gigs RAM) via MIDI and firewire. He can compose and get midi music when he composes in

Garageband, but while he gets visual feedback from his Roland (when he plays a note on the keyboard, a window displaces what key is depressed), he gets no sound, unless he clicks on MIDI Click, which plays sounds directly from the keyboard. We tried setting one of the tracks (in this case, a grand piano) to the "Record" setting, but still no sound. However, when we imported a song he composed in Garageband, we were able to get midi sounds from the keyboard, which corresponded to what he set up in Garageband. I tried looking through the manual, but being a music newbie, I couldn't make head or tail of the the terminology. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not an Apple or Logic user, but it sounds like you're expecting the MIDI connection to transmit the sounds from the keyboard. MIDI only transmits control information to whatever is at the other end, which in turn plays the sounds asked of it.

If you don't have Logic set up to map some actual sounds from the incomming control data, you'll hear nothing. Check the MIDI channel in Logic is routed to some kind of virtual instrument, or G(eneral)M(idi) sample set (can Quicktime be this? dunno...). Garageband probably has some kind of automatic mapping to a default GM set.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know how to express it, but you're right; I can't figure out how to map the sounds to the keyboard. We tried following a tutorial, but it was too technical.

Back