Help with Broken Megadrive

Hey, i've just bought a second hand megadrive/genesis purely to relive my childhood, and surprise, surprise it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We're dealing with a UK megadrive, being used in the UK. All PAL.

The problem goes like this: I'm pretty sure the leads for power and into the tv work, cos i have the light on the box working. Also, the switch for aerial/megadrive works, and turning the megadrive on and off causes the tv screen to flicker. So the megadrive also turns on ok, but i don't get any picture or sound (although i haven't tried headphones yet). I can't say whether the megadrive is working ok, but not producing any output, or if its plain not working. The only symptom i've noticed so far is that the tv output from the megadrive is quite loose and moves more than i would expect.

Is this a common problem, and more importantly, is it fixable?? I'm happy to try opening up the box, though i don't know how much help that will be.

Please help!

do you by any chance have an old commodore, or colecovision? you can use the video cables off those. (that funky 9 pin/ or is it 8 pin/ din plug)

Are you sure the RF unit works? If you are positive it could be the plug right there, like you said it moves a lot. Take the SEGA apart, see if theres any damage to it.

Does your TV normally display a black screen when it's not getting any video input? If so, and it flickers when you turn the MD on, it's quite likely that your carts and/or cartridge slot are dirty. Clean them.

Thanks for your responses guys...

I'll try opening it up and investigating the tv connection, and also give the game slot a good clean, i'm hoping this is the problem.

My tv normally doesn't display a blank black screen, the no output screen is blue, which is what makes me think some sort of signal is being received, just not the right one.

Any further help would be gratefully received. Also, if there are any more symptoms that i can help by describing, let me know.

Okay. If you're getting a black scren where you'd get a blue one normally, you're getting video output. Definitely sounds like a cart/cart slot problem. If you're not getting good contact on the cart pins, a lot of times it'll just hang there and do exactly what you're describing. You shouldn't need to open the system up to clean it.. just get a piece of cardboard that is the same thickness or very slightly thicker than the connector on a Genesis cartridge and dip one side of it in isopropyl alcohol (preferably 90% or higher). Then insert/remove that from the cartridge port several times. As for the carts themselves, get some qtips and swab the connectors down thoroughly w/alcohol. Wait for everything to dry and then try it out.

cheers for your help guys, i've got the megadrive going ok, though i have no idea how... i just went home and give it another go, and success! I wondered if being at room temperature would have an effect, apparantly when i got it first it had been sitting the back of the guy's car for a few days....

Anyway, you can now lock or delete or whatever this thread.

P.S. I think i'll give the carts a clean anyway, they are a bit temperamental at times still!

Back