Help with winrar...

You can try:

• name it *.001 instead of *.rar when compressing
  • rename the rar files manually (.rar = .001; .r00 = .002;

.r01 = .003; .r02 = .004; etc.)
The first method may or may not work.

Sorry guys...i just wanna ask something else...what happens if i rar a file more then once? or if I make a big RAR of all the smaller RARS? will that damage the archive? What if I ace or zip it?

it won't damage it, but it'll also result in no or only minimal additional compression, but you'll still have to unrar several times, which is annoying as heck.

rar, ace, zip are all pretty much optimal.. you cant compress a compressed file anymore.. all you really do is add header/error correction records.. which makes the whole thing bigger..

you'll see people zipping small rars all the time.. or you unix people will see gzipped tar files (.tar.gz or .tgz).. this is because zip has error detection that rar/tar/ace doesnt (being RLE algorithms)..

ie; you can tell instantly if one of the zips is bad.. but when you have 99 rars of a solid archive, sometimes you can only tell the whole thing is bad, and it can be a pain in the ass..

and that concludes my file archive/compression lecture... hope you all took notes

you cant compress a compressed file anymore.. all you really do is add header/error correction records.. which makes the whole thing bigger..
One exception to this I know of is a dummy file. Take a 400 MB dummy file (containing all ZEROS) and compress it once at maximum compression with any compression application and you'll get around 100 KB to 200 KB. Now compress this compressed file and you should get a few KB sized file. I've noticed that this was possible when I looked at that compressed file with a hex editor and noticed that it too contains a series of many repetitive characters (IIRC, null characters?).

ie; you can tell instantly if one of the zips is bad.. but when you have 99 rars of a solid archive, sometimes you can only tell the whole thing is bad, and it can be a pain in the ass..
That's where SFV comes in ;)

Back