Hissatsu

I've seen this game on ebay for sale, never heard of it before. Seems like a Shinobi game. Do you know this game ? Opinions ?

Thanks

Djidjo

I didn't know it!

Another Action Ninja game for Saturn!I did a research and...

''It's like Shinobi Legions, but with more characters and less fun, if you can imagine that. This game screams "Cheap Licensing Exploitation!", though it isn't terrible I guess.

Hissatsu! is based on a Japanese TV drama series from the 1970's, about four men who were tradesmen by day but assassins by night with a code of honor and good intentions, and of course, all the contradictions that would imply for suitably dramatic and campy plot devices. Think spaghetti western crossed with samurai tales against a soundtrack consisting of one mournful trumpet accompanied by an equally morose yet heroic acoustic guitar like in old Zorro movies, and that's the feel of Hissatsu! Bolt on a 2D platform/action game more for fans who like the idea of playing their favorite TV characters rather than people who like a good game, and that's Hissatsu! the Bandai release.

There are four characters to choose from, all of whom bear weapons which reflect their day jobs: Mondo Nakamura, a detective by day and wielder of traditional katana by night, Nenbutsu no Tetsu, with the power to throw fireballs, Yuuji, a samisen (Japanese string instrument) maker by day and wielder of the lethal extending samisen string capable of spearing his victims, and Hide, a metal worker who sharpens metal pieces into throwing daggers for his evening escapees.

Players can pick which pair of characters to play at the beginning of each stage. The active character will do the fighting while the second character is slightly transparent and following behind. They can be toggled on the fly with a shoulder button. Moves are the standard 2D fare of attack, block, jump, jump-attack, crouch, and crouch attack, plus looking up and attacking above one's head, or staying in a crouch for long enough so that the game scrolls down a bit to reveal what's below.

Where Hissatsu! tries to stay with the TV series is by having a normal attack which kills with one hit; the word "hissatsu" means "sure kill" (the Samurai Spirits series also uses this word for super moves). Basically, slice!, bloodsplat, minion dies and disappears. The block button does just that, though for sake of variation, a block starts out as a small attack, ie. when Mondo unsheathes his sword and raises it to block, the act of raising can slice the opponent for lesser damage. Do this repeatedly against a minion also attempting small hits, and you can see and hear the shing!shing!shing! of weapons clanging against each other in a pale imitation of a fight.

Bandai tried to implement a resource management aspect to the game with the different attacks. Each character gets an energy bar, which temporarily depletes with each hissatsu, but only depletes a little bit if the peck/guard attack is used. You can do five hissatsus in a row before depleting a bar, then that character is limited to small attacks until he recovers the energy with time, or by being swapped out for the other character in play. A row of seven oil lamps indicate the number of hits each character can take; get hit seven times and that character is knocked out for the stage. If both characters take seven hits, it's game over.

Enemies are the standard samurai and ninjas. There are boss fights but they aren't very interesting, basically keep mashing on the attacks until dead, and block where necessary. Animals like dogs and bats round out the minions. Fan service is in the form of a brief animation which plays after each boss fight, featuring the assassin who did the killing by flashing his trademark TV move, then cutting to the boss's death.

There's a chance this game might appeal to people who aren't necessarily looking for a tight 2D action game, namely the fans of this TV series as well as people who don't mind a somewhat campy and trashy experience. And it is definitely campy, what 70's TV show isn't. If you're one of the folks who thought Shinobi Legions was enjoyable enough, Hissatsu! might be alright. Those folks can consider this game a 6/10. For myself it's a 4 or 5/10.''

..if you wanna read more:

http://gametz.com/forum/USER:28582/topic/120341.html

Thanks ! I couldn't find information by myself, I'm not as skilled as you :)

Well, it seems it's a crappy 2D hack'n'slash platform game, but I like these games : I'm the only person I know who likes... Dragon Heart :D

Djidjo

Back