How can I tell?

Cloud121

Established Member
I was reading the 3DO forum and saw that there can be multiple type of CD-Rs. How can I tell which are authentic and which are just generic types? like Authentic Imations or authentic TDKs. how can I tell whether they're authentic or not (that is while I'm at the store, buying some more CD-Rs soon)

ok then...

Made in _____ = Authentic Imations?

Made in _____ = Authentic Memorex'?

Made in _____ = Authentic TDK's?

where are the Authentic disc made for each brand?

I can't be completely sure, but I think he was asking what should be in the blanks to show that they are authentic Imations, Memorex', and TDK's.

Quote: from Shentar on 8:42 pm on Nov. 26, 2001

I can't be completely sure, but I think he was asking what should be in the blanks to show that they are authentic Imations, Memorex', and TDK's.

yes exactly. I want to know where the AUTHENTIC ones are made.

The following is to the best of my knowledge and may well be outdated; the optical media industry moves *very* fast when it wants to.

"Authentic" TDKs are made in the USA, possibly other places too, but you might want to avoid big spindles marked "Made In Taiwan", as those are probably made by Ritek; not that I've had any problem with my Ritek-made TDKs - they're supposedly held to higher QA standards than Ritek's normal lines, though I'm not sure I believe that...

I don't think there is such a thing as "authentic Memorex"; AFAIK they've always sold rebranded discs from other manufacturers.

As for Imation, I'm not sure they make their own discs either; the only ones on CD Media World (though these are definitely not the only ones out; CD Media World's info is often outdated) are rebranded CMC Magnetics (a so-so company from what I've heard) and Taiyo Yuden (excellent).

Back