How do you Catalog your Game Collection

schi0249 said:
Totally off topic here. I forgot you live in MN too. I shopped at Discland when they were next door to the current location. Back then it wasn't rare to find a good deal. I picked up a complete copy of X-mas Nights for like $.50. I also got my X-Eye from them for only $25. Last few times I went there, I couldn't any killer deals.

At the last 20% sale, I found a copy of Knuckles Chaotix for only like 5$ or something along those lines. I'd actually picked up the manual there 2 years prior, when I found the manual, but couldn't find that actual game anywhere. Oh, and I also got Bubble Bobble for Saturn (disc only though). It was a current e-bay value price (like 10$ for disc-only), but I was just so suprised to see a little gem I had to pick it up anyway.

I think I also debated for a while whether to drop 40$ on the boxed SuperScope, but eventually decided not to. And then the next week, I found a boxed one at the Unique Thrift Store for 7.50.

Toyriffic always has a bunch of really rare games, but they've all got 50-150$ price tags on them. But I did get my copy of Sailor Moon 3DO import at Hi-Score, but I paid through the nose for it. Though I did find a copy of Blue Lightning for Lynx for only 7$ (but I think that's about e-bay anyway).

My best amazing killer deals are always at thrift stores. Like my 7$ Nomad, my 5$ FZ-1 3DO, and 5$ Virtual Boy.

Jedi, Where do you go for thrift shops?

Rev, I do have to say VGR has a ton of info and I love the site. If a program could tie into VGR, that would really replicate what collectorz.com does. Maybe even better.

Amon said:
Heres what I think I should have... please let me know if I am missing anything or if I should take something out

If you guys think this is worth while I may do this as well...

if pc game thats installed have an input box or a dialog box to get the location of the game and have a button to lanch the game

1. How do you edit the system info when newer systems come out?

2. Probably should add 'box condition'

3. Don't think there should be a launcher unless the program isn't resource heavy.

4. How about a place for an scan/pic of the box/game?

RevQuixo said:
Such hostility.

That's true. But, there was quite a bit of unneeded animosity and drama back then, don't you think?

1. I will have a table in the database storing systems and the drop down menu will be populated by that.

2. For box condition i was thinking someone could just type that in in the comment box next to condition for example they choose near mint condition and include comment "sticker on box"

3. Right now program isnt resource heavy... the exe is 40kb and gets all data from the database. Once i start storing games it will contain a copy in memory (for less traffic on the database).

4. Do-able but I will see how time restraints go (I will keep it in mind :))

Progress report:

Users can create accounts and log in!

Once it starts storing games I will post a beta.

MTXBlau said:
That's true. But, there was quite a bit of unneeded animosity and drama back then, don't you think?

That's certainly true. The funny part looking back on it was the amount of drama that was blown out of proportion. Things such as "hacking the site"..which no one did.

Anyhow, it was almost 5 years ago...and is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. The fact of the matter is that Mowgli, gameboy900 and I were trying to make a sea-change with the way SegaXtreme was run, taking it away from the ISO past and moving it towards what eventually became VGRebirth. The site would have become a museum site with all the bells and whistles of SX (music, scans, messageboard, etc.) with the database that is now VGR. Unfortunately to accomodate those changes we first had to clean house with the "staff" that didn't really understand the reasoning for changes (ie: potential liability for providing links to copywritten data). We have to remember that this was just before the RIAA and the movie industry started to crack down hard on piracy and bittorrent and other non-centralized downloading really was in its infancy. It made sense that to legitimize SX we would have to break from its past.

RevQuixo said:
That's certainly true. The funny part looking back on it was the amount of drama that was blown out of proportion. Things such as "hacking the site"..which no one did.

There was hacking, however it happened at the same time of vgr's launch so it got pinned on vgr. I don't even know why he did it, there was a message but it's been so long, and who cares? It's all good.

RevQuixo said:
Anyhow, it was almost 5 years ago...and is water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

We'll leave it at that, I agree, though I don't speak for anyone except myself.

Jedi Master Thrash said:
Unique Thrift Stores and Goodwills.

I've tried three good wills in two states (DE and PA) and I haven't had any luck. It's karma or some such. Would you consider setting up shop for fellow SXers who aren't as lucky? I mean, who finds a Nomad for $5?

Amon said:
3. Right now program isnt resource heavy... the exe is 40kb and gets all data from the database. Once i start storing games it will contain a copy in memory (for less traffic on the database).

But doesn't the .net framework have its own resource consumption? (forgive me - my only frame of reference is Mono, and that still needs some work)

RevQuixo said:
Such hostility.

Actually, in Luxembourg, that's considered a compliment.

Screwing something, e.g. fastening it into place, is symbolized as creating an unbreakable bond of friendship and honor.

Just like if I was to call you an Ass in Norway, it would also be saying the same thing along the lines of you being godly.

Personally I have better luck with Salvation Armys then I do with Goodwills. I got Boogerman (Genesis) with box and manual in very good condition for $1 a couple weeks ago.

MTXBlau said:
I've tried three good wills in two states (DE and PA) and I haven't had any luck. It's karma or some such. Would you consider setting up shop for fellow SXers who aren't as lucky? I mean, who finds a Nomad for $5?

I am setting up shop! I'll be a vendor at the Midwest Gaming Classic in June. I should bump that thread again. I pass on my savings to you! But I can't sell for quite the thrift store price, since I have to make up the price of gas, two nights hotel, and the booth (around 350 dollars). But I hope to undercut the competition anyway.

Not everything I have is thrift-store though. A lot of stuff I paid regular money for at game shops, and have played, and am just passing them on to the next gamer. Sometimes I've even paid more than e-bay rate for something, just because I"m caught up in the thrill of finding something in real life. (e-bay just lacks the thrill of the hunt).

And I've had some not-so-good thrift store tries before. Like I got an Atari 5200 at a goodwill for 15$, thinking the missing power-supply and RF unit wouldn't be an issue. Boy was I wrong. The 5200 uses a special RF-unit with pass-through power supply, and the power supply weighs a ton. Cost me 35$ on e-bay to finish it off, so I'll be lucky to recuperate my total 50$ anyway.

Jedi Master Thrash said:
I am setting up shop! I'll be a vendor at the Midwest Gaming Classic in June. I should bump that thread again. I pass on my savings to you! But I can't sell for quite the thrift store price, since I have to make up the price of gas, two nights hotel, and the booth (around 350 dollars). But I hope to undercut the competition anyway.

Not everything I have is thrift-store though. A lot of stuff I paid regular money for at game shops, and have played, and am just passing them on to the next gamer. Sometimes I've even paid more than e-bay rate for something, just because I"m caught up in the thrill of finding something in real life. (e-bay just lacks the thrill of the hunt).

And I've had some not-so-good thrift store tries before. Like I got an Atari 5200 at a goodwill for 15$, thinking the missing power-supply and RF unit wouldn't be an issue. Boy was I wrong. The 5200 uses a special RF-unit with pass-through power supply, and the power supply weighs a ton. Cost me 35$ on e-bay to finish it off, so I'll be lucky to recuperate my total 50$ anyway.

I just scored a sega sports edition dreamcast w/ black controller, a second regular gray (sega brand) controller, a green vmu, nfl2k1, power cord, rfu adapter, and an issue of the official DC mag for $7 at a garage sale yesterday in a box marked $7. Powered it up this morning, works great.

Just to give you guys an update, I will have the the project done by monday. I need to set up a server for release... if i have time i will include an offline mode in this release if not I will for next.

Am I missing any Video game systems?

Magnavox Odyssey

Pong

Coleco Telstar

APF TV Fun

Fairchild channel F

RCA Studio II

1292 Advanced Programmable Video System

Atari 2600

Bally Astrocade

Magnavox Odyssey

APF Imagination Machine

APF-M1000

Mattel Intellivision

Epoch Cassette Vision

Atari 5200

Milton Bradley Vectrex

Emerson Arcadia 2001

ColecoVision

Sega SG-1000 Mark I / Mark II / Mark III

Milton Bradley Microvision

Entex Adventure Vision

Epoch Game Pocket Computer

Nintendo Game & Watch

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom

Sega Master System

Atari 7800

Nintendo Game Boy/Game Boy Light/Game Boy Pocket

Atari Lynx

Sega Game Gear

NEC PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive / Nomad

Neo Geo

Nintendo Super Famicom/SNES

Commodore CDTV

Sega Mega CD

Sega 32X

Nintendo Game Boy Pocket

Sega pico

TurboExpress

3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Amiga CD-32

Atari Jaguar

Sega Saturn

Sony PlayStation

Nintendo 64

Pioneer LaserActive

PC FX

Apple Pippin

Nintendo 64 DD

Virtual Boy

Atari Jaguar CD

Neo Geo Pocket

Game.com

Wonderswan

Game Boy Color

Dreamcast

PlayStation 2

GameCube

Xbox

Tapwave Zodiac

Nokia N-Gage

Game Boy Advance/ GBA SP / GB Micro

Nokia N-Gage QD

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Bandai Swan Crystal

GP32

Xbox 360

PlayStation 3

Wii

Nintendo DS / DS Lite

Playstation Portable

Tiger Telematics Gizmondo

GamePark Holdings GP2X

Mattel HyperScan

Well, if you want to include cartrige-based computers, there were the old Commodore 64's, Commodore 128's, VIC-20's, and Texas Instrument systems. I'd like to be able to catalog my C64/128 games whenever I get them all sorted out. Though maybe that can be saved for future editions. :)

It would be nice to list them all. It took me a few hours to come up with that list. For the moment all computer games are listed under computer that would include all cartridge based computers such as the Commodore to new stuff. Unfortunately time is running out for me to do this project. If someone would like to compile a list of all the cartridge based computers I would gladly add them in.

Back