How do you create a saturn iso with mkisofs?

Ok, first I did search the forums but only found bits and pieces to my answer and just ended up confusing me.

Here is what I want to do. I was working on a small mod which is done (I won't say what it is yet since I'm not sure if it will work and to not get anyone excited.) Now I just need to see if it will run correctly on the Saturn. I need to remake an iso image of the files I modified to burn back to a disc.

Ok from what I understand I need to extract the bootstrap (ip.bin if you will) which I know how to extract using hexedit. I also need isobuster to get the original file order (do I also need to do anything to the "Filelist" that it spits out?) Next I would assume to use mkisofs. But when I make an image and then try to change the region using satcconv.exe, it states that my image is not a valid saturn iso.

I probably missed something along the way. Could some post a more detailed way to do this?

thanks in adavance.

Excuse me for barging in... :D

Is ip.bin special code which doesn't normally get inserted into an ISO? Also, where can I get it..?

Thanks. The more I look around the Saturn forums, the more ExCyber seems like a genius... :)

Degamer: Go here: http://phemusat.tripod.com/. Download smsemu2.zip. Extract the zip to a folder. Replace sl.bin with your sl.bin (this is the code you compiled). Launch mk.bat. It should pop out an iso file of some sort. Verify with satconv and burn. Keep in mind there are issues with the tools on patched (?) versions of 2K\XP. Read Vreuzon's thread on creating isos if you have that problem, all you have to do is swap the executables and update the scripts.

Drenholm: An ip.bin is included in the zip as well. It's required if you want something to boot on a saturn.

Is ip.bin special code which doesn't normally get inserted into an ISO?

It's basically the Saturn boot code, it contains the disc information block containing title, publisher, supported peripherals etc, as well as the logo code and the initial boot code (usually this is just a small piece of code that loads the first file on the disc into memory). Sega CD and Dreamcast have a similar block. The area used is the first 32KB of the ISO filesystem, which is reserved for this kind of proprietary use and is unused on most platforms.

Well, I tried it out and the boot method and it worked :thumbs-up:

But my mod did not work :(

The game boots and everything and just when the gameplay is about to start, the Saturn hangs. Maybe I did something wrong, so I'll look over it. :huh

Back