How good is the vcd playback on saturn?

on an ntsc vcd cards for saturn, how good does it play?

when it encounters error in the cd (like alot of vcd does) or scratched up disc that makes the movie skip a little.. does it just stay there and stop like most dvd-vcd players out there? or does it just skips the error and plays the movie like normal? (like most of the standalone vcd players, this is extremely good)

I haven't used mine alot, but I'd say don't use it if you plan on playing cdr vcd's. Mainly b/c the audio and video get out of sync easily, and to fix that you have to either pause the movie for a bit or hit ff/rw, which is annoying. It will skip errors and keep playing, though sometimes it just stops. I've tried my vcd card on several saturns and have only tried cdr vcd's, but these are the results I always get.

Hello,

I used to have the out of sync problem you just mentioned, but try playing the VCD in 'PCB off' mode, then there are no sync problems!!!

I still do not know what PCB is, but I always watch VCDs with PCB off now!!

Originally posted by Hiroshirou+Feb 6, 2004 @ 11:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hiroshirou @ Feb 6, 2004 @ 11:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>on an ntsc vcd cards for saturn, how good does it play?

when it encounters error in the cd (like alot of vcd does) or scratched up disc that makes the movie skip a little.. does it just stay there and stop like most dvd-vcd players out there? or does it just skips the error and plays the movie like normal? (like most of the standalone vcd players, this is extremely good)[/b]

I have a Hi-Saturn that came with a built in Hitachi VCD card (see attached pic below). I've tested playing some VCDs on it and I was impressed on how smooth and stable the playback was. Even when I did some zooming in and out, playback was very smooth. When playing VCDs with errors, it just displayed green spots in certain areas of the screen, but playback was still stable and continuous.

Originally posted by bubsy@May 14, 2004 @ 01:15 AM

Hello,

I used to have the out of sync problem you just mentioned, but try playing the VCD in 'PCB off' mode, then there are no sync problems!!!

I still do not know what PCB is, but I always watch VCDs with PCB off now!!

I think you mean PBC, not PCB. :p It stands for playback control.

<!--QuoteBegin-http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?P#PBC

PBC

Playback control, PBC, is available for Video CD (VCD) 2.0 and Super Video CD (SVCD) 1.0 disc formats. PBC allows control of the playback of play items and the possibility of interaction with the user through the remote control or some other input device available. VCDimager details
[/quote]

Attachments

• DSCN0810.jpg
    DSCN0810.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN0810.jpg
    DSCN0810.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0810.jpg
    DSCN0810.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 138
hmmI have a hitachi VCD card and mine doesn't look liek that. It's gold w/ red and black sticker. Says "segasaturn movie card" in english then jap shit below it. It has SEGA logo, cd logo, and the video cd logo. Says ©Hitachi, Ltd '95 on it too.

Are their dif versions or do one of us have a non-legit ripoff?

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 14, 2004 @ 03:15 AM

hmmI have a hitachi VCD card and mine doesn't look liek that. It's gold w/ red and black sticker. Says "segasaturn movie card" in english then jap shit below it. It has SEGA logo, cd logo, and the video cd logo. Says ©Hitachi, Ltd '95 on it too.

Are their dif versions or do one of us have a non-legit ripoff?

Well, the one I have is from the Hi-Saturn package as shown here, so I know it's legit. The one you're describing sounds like what Lan Kwei is selling. Did you get yours as the card alone?

I have two JVC Twin Operators and they both works great and having NTSC/PAL support is great as I sometimes pick up old VCD movie from PAL regions when NTSC is not available. Haven't used PhotoCD though as I have no need for it...

cheers

VCD playbacks on saturns are good only if they are built in like master akuma's and not a vcd card which you have to slip in trough the vcd card port, because inserting the said vcd cartridge gives some glitches to the mother board even if it is turned off, I also have the same vcd card but I seldom use it because the video/audio goes out of sync.

Back