How long till saturn dies with swap trick?

First and foremost, hello everyone! :)

Ok, I was wondering if anyone here killed they're saturn using the swap trick? I have a model 2 saturn and since it's been a long time since I last used it, I decided to give the swap trick a go. After reading and reading how its done, I was able to get the darn trick to work after like 20 tries (I still can't figure out the right timing, its works randomly :lol:).

I'm asking this because in about 2 or 3 months, I'm getting a modchip for it. So during that span of time, I may have to rely on swapping.

I had a model 1 that i used the swap trick on for a bout 4 years, and it only recently died (i had it since day 1)

Originally posted by georaldc@Tue, 2006-02-14 @ 03:34 AM

I'm asking this because in about 2 or 3 months, I'm getting a modchip for it. So during that span of time, I may have to rely on swapping.

[post=144388]Quoted post[/post]​

My friend is also using the swap trick method, after a week the intensity of the laser on the lens started to degrade, eventually it died 1 month after doing the swap trick because he plays with it everyday after work, BTW his saturn is a black model 1 with oval buttons and it's a 20 pin/no chipCDrom.

On my opinion model 1 sega saturn ussually dies faster than a model 2 when swap trick is used.

woah, guess i'll have to steer clear from swapping and wait for my saturn to get chipped. Besides, its so freaking hard to do anyway lol

Originally posted by georaldc@Wed, 2006-02-15 @ 03:41 AM

woah, guess i'll have to steer clear from swapping and wait for my saturn to get chipped. Besides, its so freaking hard to do anyway lol

[post=144408]Quoted post[/post]​

If you value your sega saturn you really should wait until your modchip arrives, as of now I have two model-2 sega saturn the one I use for swapping and the other I save for collection

Originally posted by orta

My friend is also using the swap trick method, after a week the intensity of the laser on the lens started to degrade, eventually it died 1 month after doing the swap trick because he plays with it everyday after work
It's highly unlikely that swapping is what killed your friend's laser. The main things that get stressed by swapping are the spindle hub and motor. Most likely the laser was already on its last legs and the extra playing pushed it over the edge. I've only ever heard of one Saturn "dying" from swapping, and that's because the spindle hub broke. I personally have swapped for years and know others who have done the same; if swapping killed Saturns in a matter of weeks or months, we would have been forced to stop doing it quite a while ago.

That being said, I wouldn't put up with the annoyance of swapping on a late model 2 Saturn, which is what the OP probably has. It's just not worth the hassle.

Back