How much stock do you put in the game reviews?

Depends on the reviewer/site/magazine. A quality review doesn't just say "this game sucks" or "this game rocks", it contains actual information about the game. A good reviewer knows how to separate true shortcomings from matters of personal preference, and a good review doesn't try to make your decision for you except perhaps as a recommendation at the end.

I agree w/ Excyber. I usually read reviews to see what the game is about, what it has. I have played enuf videogames to know what I will like and what I will actually spend a decent ammount of time playing. I just use the info from the reviews to form my own opnion.

Y'know, I just don't feel like I can trust reviews that much anymore after the whole P.N.03 fiasco. I'm of the opinion that most reviewers have very different tastes in games than I do. The only time I find reviews helpful is when there is a game that I think looks good, but ends up having some fatal flaw that isn't immediately apparent. That doesn't happen too often, however. Usually, when I see something I know I'm going to love, I'll get it without even consulting reviews, as I have had very good times with games that didn't get the most glowing reviews. (Example: Odama, that game looks soooo awesome)

Originally posted by it290@Jul 7, 2004 @ 01:20 AM

Y'know, I just don't feel like I can trust reviews that much anymore after the whole P.N.03 fiasco.

Pardon my ignorance, but could you elaborate on that?

It's just that the game got 5's and 6's all over the net; all the review sites claimed that it was a crappy game with terrible controls. I bought the game, and found out that it was an extremely fun shooter, and that the controls worked quite well. Basically, all the sites were bitching because they wanted it to have Tomb Raider-style shooting controls, which would have destroyed the gameplay completely. I'm more of an old-school type gamer, and with some exceptions, review sites just don't seem to appreciate those types of games anymore. The same thing happened with games like Gunbird 2 and Mars Matrix on the DC. Personally, I would rate PN03 at least an 8. It has some flaws, but it's an extremely fun game and quite stylish to boot.

yeah I find reviews good to get a quick opinion. But I take them as opinions only. The more detail they give to their scoring, the more I consider them.

Gunbird is a fun game, albeit a lil simple it's still fun as hell. How could anyone ever think differently? Kids...

Good poll :) I put zero 'stock' in game reviews when it comes to purchasing. Really, you would have to have a LOT of faith in the reviewer(s) to gamble your money on their opinions.

Reviewers tend to write as though they have an overall knowledge of what is required for a good game. But they don't define (or don't list their reasons for) what makes a game good in the first place...

Back