How to fix a broken Genesis game?

I have a genesis cartridge (Grindstormer) I bought at Funco/Gamewhore a while back, and didn't discover it didn't work until much later.

It's not just a cleaning issue. I've got a clean system, and I've cleaned the heck out of it. The cartridge is just dead. A blank black screen is all the pops up when the power is turned on.

I cracked open the cartridge case to see if there was anything obviously broken I could fix (like a disconnected lead or something). Of course that wasn't as easy of a task as I had originally thought, since they used headless screws to secure the two halves? Bah. Well it's not pretty anymore, but it opens and closes.

The PCB appears to be ok. I can't see any cracks or bad connections.

All the pins of the RAM are still securely soldered to the PCB, and the RAM itself appears in good condition.

Both the diode and the capacitor are still securely soldered, and both appear in good condition (not really sure how to tell with the diode though. I've watched caps fry, so I know what that looks like).

Any idea what might be the problem? And how to fix it?

Thanks,

JMT.

Most likely it's just a bad rom chip...not really worth replacing. Just get another copy of the game. The really ironic thing is that I once bought a GrindStormer cart and it too did exactly what you've described. Perhaps they used a bad batch of rom chips when they made these carts.

Why not just buy another Grindstormer for $3.00? Or better yet, invest your money in an Elemental Master cartridge...

If it's broken, save it. You could use the case with that TotoTek flash cart, and the PCB might come in handy someday if you replace the dead ROM with a socket.

Back