How to get this place boomin - We need suggestions people!!!

I am starting this thread in hopes that we can come up with an idea to get ppl to come here. This place is sad, VERY sad. We need to get this place as boomin as SX is. I don't have any suggestions at this time, but I will later. Anyone else have an idea on how to get ppl to come here? If you do post it, we can decide on it, then we can execute it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Later.

This subject has been brought up sever times before on the board, so ill just tell you what I wrote in the "NintendoXtreme Team" forum so as to tell you what I have suggested so far to Karny:

NX should have "tech help" and "Game help" sections on the board like SX does.
On the left side bar for the site their should also be "Reviews" and "Guides/Cheats" sections. It might also be good to have a "translations" section for the numerous translation patches out their for Nintendo games.

The thing is... NX is a community. And up until very recently IceMan2k and myself have been doing all the work for this site. Thanks to Fabrizo joining the team we now have some more regular news updates and move importantly; the Comics section.

In order to start a review/faqs/whatever section, we need the reviews/faqs/whatever first.

I've often said that I would do reviews for the games that I have, but due to some time restraints I haven't been able to get any out... so once again I urge any of you that have written, or want to write a review/faq/whatever to contact me or one of the other staff and the new sections will come.

When you say that this place is sad, I'd like to argue that.

We're a relatively new site, with no money, no advertising and no major affiliates. We are also completely overshadowed by our sister site SX.

However, SX attracted a lot of people through providing illegal copies of Sega games, something which NX cannot and will not do.

I think we're doing pretty well actually. We have a small, but incredibly loyal bunch of users and our numbers are growing, admittedly not nearly as fast as I would like, but they're still growing.

Now I'm not trying to say we've done everything right, and this is as good as it gets. There's always more we can do, NX will never be perfect, but together we can make it a little better piece by piece.

I'd like to thank all of you for your time and willingness to help promote NX - and I guess through that NX has already achieved its primary goal... to be an awesome Nintendo Community!

If you give us some sort of guidelines for the reviews, length, rating system, etc. I'd be happy to do some. I've got bugger all else to do.

I think as with all other communities you can make your own style.

I honestly don't have a preferance as to what you do with you reviews.

A couple of suggestions though.
  • Give scores on Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Value
  • Run a spell checker before submitting it
  • Try be as informative as possible

I think the translation section, reviews, and cheats/walkthrough section would be very good sections. But as karny says, we need EVERYONE to contribute. What would be real cool is if you guys made a page where we could write in our reviews on a form, that way we can rate the categories and stuff that are important. Can have em' write a paragraph on each section. Wouldn't be that hard to do I don't think. Just will take a little while. What you think?

I am working on a deal to get more space so we can put up more sections and bring back some of the sections :)

BJammzz, thats not a bad idea. But the problem with reviews of that sort is they're often along the lines of:

"Tihs gaem suxxs cos teh grafix r gay"

I'd rather our reviews were well though out, details and honest. Rather than spur of the moment flaming...

IceMan2k, will the new server be Windows or Linux based?

I dunno, I think that's a good idea really. I think there needs to be some sort of consistency within the reviews so they're easy to sift through, not one review giving 3.5 out of 5 and another giving in a twenty hamburger rating or something. It doesn't have to be on the site for anyone to just type in and submit, they could ask for the template from you guys and then you'd know they were gonna make an effort to do it right (probably). You're just as likely to recieve garbage in your email the way it is at the moment.

It a good thing that it's Windows.

I can probably get a ASP page together to submit the reviews, then the staff could approve them before posting it to the site.

It'll have to wait until/if we move to the new server.

I have the space right now but I am testing some stuff on it at present. Mowgli is also helping me out with it. Seems like I NEED to have a DNS name linked to it for it to actually work. I have a reseller account so its unlimited DNS names :)

Well, I can get some Cube reviews done :) (I only really review poor games though ;)) and, I emailed IceMan2k about this but dodn't get a reply (been having probs with my email as of late anyways :() but I can newspost for you guys too since I'm back into Nintendo stuff with my Cube :)

Back