How to play imports?

There's several ways you can play imports on the Dreamcast. First of course is the modchip. But that's risky and quite pointless, because of all the boot discs out there. You can get a Gameshark CDX (I believe that works to boot imports). Buy the DC-X, or download the Utopia Boot disc. But I'm not sure of the whole legality of the Utopia boot disc, so you may not want to go with that one. There may be more options, but that's all that I'm familiar with.

Yes. A Gameshark will work to boot up imports, at least most. I think there were some compatibility problems with a few import games out there.

Not to be a pain but it is a hell of a lot simplier to download the game from a newgroup, burn it, and then pop it in the dc (most everyone of them are universal self boots). That is if you can access them.

But if he is actually just importing games (and not just lying to sound legit) then Utopia would be the best. No, it is not legal, but then again, I don't know anywhere that there is the DC-X being sold...

I seam to recall this quote under the Dreamcast forum: "If you even mention copied games here you will be banned!" Agent21KGB, you might want to watch out when recomending someone to download DC games, as theirs a dark mysterious force that floats around these boards that many like to call Arakon.

Utopia disc doesn't boot imports. Pro-ARP disc does (demo or full ARP is fine). I have 35 imported discs for my DC and aside from MvC2, none of them boot with Utopia.

Originally posted by DBOY@July 11 2002,16:25

Utopia disc doesn't boot imports. Pro-ARP disc does (demo or full ARP is fine). I have 35 imported discs for my DC and aside from MvC2, none of them boot with Utopia.

Virtua Tennis (NTSC) - my only import - boots fine with Utopia on my PAL DC. I can't think what your problem with utopia may be ???

Well, I guess i'll just buy me a Gameshark? Simple enough and VERY VERY VERY easy to find. Not to mention VERY VERY VERY cheap. Alright, enough with the VERYs'.

And yes, DC copies suck tonz of ass, plus u can get most games for under $10 so just buy the suckers.

Hmm, my Utopia boot disk works fine with 3 of my 4 import DC games. The one it doesn't like is Shenmue.

Myself, if I cared about playing imports I'd try to get everything. They're all pretty cheap and you'd hopefully be able to play everything.

Originally posted by Fabrizo@July 09 2002,01:44

I seam to recall this quote under the Dreamcast forum: "If you even mention copied games here you will be banned!" Agent21KGB, you might want to watch out when recomending someone to download DC games, as theirs a dark mysterious force that floats around these boards that many like to call Arakon.

yes but sx is under new managemeant

You know how you use the Utopia disc, GS, or CD-X thing to boot the imports? Is there a way you can mae it so the disc will spin with the lid open? Example: On the Saturn there's the switch on the upper-left corner of the console.

Ok atleast on the 2000 model dreamcast there is a switch by the modem, black in color. Push that down and it thinks the lid is closed. And I just said that it was an option to downlaod games, I gave no addresses or ways to do it. I am not twisting and arms here just giving a viable solution.

2 things, Utopia disk will indeed boot legit imports, and it does have vga support, you just have to trick it like any other game that doesnt "officialy" support it, you get a black screen, but you can swap the disk, hit start, and boot up just fine

Back