How to pronounce Ikaruka.....

o_O before i got on my compouter i was just thinking of making this topic. are you sure it's pronounced that way? i thought it was like ick are you gah

well i haven't seen it spelled in hiragana, but the way i'd spell it in hiragana would be the way i showed the pronounciation for

I KA RU GA are all individual characters. Of course i could be wrong since the kanji on the title screen is 'pi-juun shitto' from what i've been told at least
wink.gif

dude! I was JUST going to post this topic -- it's been bugging me for months.

I always wondered about the "I"

EE KAH GOO RAH

That's as close as you'll get without learning the l/r/d mishmash sound that is R in Japanese so just say the above fast and without spaces.

EE KAH GOO RAH

That's as close as you'll get without learning the l/r/d mishmash sound that is R in Japanese so just say the above fast and without spaces.

And without mangling the last two syllables. I made the exact same mistake myself the very first time I read the title, way back when it was at the vague rumor stage; clearly this indicates some mistake on Treasure's part. :
wink.gif
:

Also, if anyone cares, "ikaru" apparently refers to a Japanese grosbeak, a bird with (surprise!) quite noticeably contrasting light/dark colored areas of its body...

edit: #segaxtreme's resident shooter god tells me that it is in fact "ikaruga", and the dictionary I was using just sucks.

Originally posted by DBOY@Sep. 07 2002, 4:25 am

EE KAH GOO RAH

that sounds like a spanish pronunciation

A = Ah

I = Ee

U = Uu (A long O sound)

E = Ay (is in dAY)

O = O (Short O sound)

All Japanese words are made up of characters/syllables that retain the same sound. Unlike English, where we mash the syllables of letters into words.

Ikaruga would sound like Icka-rug-a in English. It's really Ee-Kah-Ruu-Gah

Originally posted by Gear+Sep. 09 2002, 1:02 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gear @ Sep. 09 2002, 1:02 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DBOY@Sep. 07 2002, 4:25 am

EE KAH GOO RAH

that sounds like a spanish pronunciation[/b][/quote]

Japanese in pronounced much like spanish, as a matter of fact

Eeee Ka' Doo Ga'- I always remembered the Japanese getting their "R's","L's", and "D,s" meshed together which of course sounds weird in english. An example would be in Anime' where text reads in english- "Door Rocked-(instead of Locked), Now Roading-(on a computer screen, for example), etc." The R's sound like D's when pronounced in Japanese.

Back