how to rip music from saturn cds

hi, can anyone help me out? i'm trying to rip some music off of nights but i can't find a utility to do so. i've been able to rip video, but no luck on the audio department...

tia

Some of the music you can just play right off the CD since it's in CDDA format (audio tracks).

The rest is synthesized in realtime during the game, so unless you can find the music data and develop your own player for it, not a chance.
tongue.gif

or you could hook your sat up to your TV/PC etc, and create mp3's of the in game music....i did that on several games for the sat!

if all go's right for ya, and they sound good post em on SX as i only need the BGM from the twin seeds tower stage (final) to complete my collection!

I don't own a full copy of Nights just the demo, so I have no idea if what I'm about to say is worth anything but in the demo discs Nights music was in .wav format. CD players pick it up but not when you go to extract it. Search the disc and for .sfd files, copy them to your comp and rename them as .wav.

I'm trying to make sense of what exactly you're saying, E Nice... but you confuse your terms... CD players (hi-fi components that is) can't possibly pick up wav files on a data disc - they CAN play audio tracks on a mixed-mode CD (i.e. any Saturn game).

And what did you mean by extract - ripping the audio tracks on a PC? Or were you just talking about sound files inside the ISO9660 data? Last but not least, are you sure simply renaming .sfd files to .wav is a good idea?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm assuming HyperX simply wants to make mp3's. Like I said, I only have the Nights demo. I have no idea if the actual full game is the same way or not.

CD players can play the Nights demo cd audio tracks but when it goes to rip it it doesn't find any cdda. I explored the contents of the disc and found some files that have the .sfd extension. I copied these files to harddrive and renamed them as .wav. Those .sfd (.wav) files were the cd tracks that I heard when I put the Nights demo disc into a cd player. From this point you can make your mp3's.

That's interesting... <_<

To start off with you cant 'see' the audiotracks you play on a regular cd-player in windows, they don't appear as files.. (some games may show some CDDA named files, these are like 'links' to the real CDDA tracks...)

What is interesting is that.. if those sfd files _are_ wav files.. it means there is duplicated 'data' on the cd...

The CDDA tracks and those files...
huh.gif

I'm no good with terms. What I'm trying to say is, when trying to rip cd audio from the Nights demo, the utility will not find anything to rip, as it would have had it been any regular music cd (or some other rip friendly game cd). The Nights demo has cd tracks, since cd players can play it. Ripping utilities simply don't see it for some reason.

The only thing I can find of music are the .sfd files. Sorta reminds me of C:The Contra Adventure. There are .wav files on that game disc that match the cd audio track layout, but unlike the Nights demo disc, ripping utilities can spot the cd audio tracks on the Contra disc.

I never bothered to try using something a bit better than EZ Creator. CDRwin found them. Hmm..

As for cd tracks,

Nights Sampler has 12 cd tracks, 10 being audio.

Christmas Nights has 20 cd tracks, 18 being audio.

And they both have equivalent number of .sfd files, to their respective discs.

Those mysterious files are links to the audio tracks. Your ripping utilities may get confused by the second data track in NiGHTS. Anyway, in that particular game the in-game music is synthesized, so if a tune you want can't be found as an audio track on the CD you'll have to hook up the Saturn to a recording device and try to get it that way.

Yes, the 2nd data track might have confused EZ CD creator (holy god, get something better than that :p).

.CDA files are just links to the audio tracks (if you put a normal audio CD in the 'puter, you'll see that the .CDA files are 1KB big). The tracks doesn't exist in form of files. At least in most cases

Some Saturn games actually have a file representation of the audio track. I have no idea on how this work, but it's not a duplicated file: the file you see there uses the same sectors as the data tracks, as weird as this can sound.

Prolly some wacky stuff with the file system that makes a file out of data in other tracks.

It's interesting, though, since I never saw CDDA pseudo-files on a Saturn disc that ended in .sfd - usually it's .da or .cda or similar stuff.

Hmm, just one more minor problem. Is there even a way in NiGHTS (any NiGHTS) to pause the game and let the music play indefinitely without any game sounds messing it up?
smile.gif

I don't think there is, otherwise I would've suggested this already (before Barracuda did).

Worth a try, nonetheless. I HAVE been known to be quite wrong in the past, after all. *nod 2 antime*
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 21, 2003 @ 05:24 PM

Hmm, just one more minor problem. Is there even a way in NiGHTS (any NiGHTS) to pause the game and let the music play indefinitely without any game sounds messing it up? :)

I don't think there is, otherwise I would've suggested this already (before Barracuda did).

Hmm... there is no need for that: the game has a sound test.

But you only can listen to the default DSS version for each track.

DSS means "Dynamic Sound System", and in Nights this means the music changes depending on the mood of the nightopians in each level. You can check the current DSS status in-game by pausing and pressing L+R+Y (I think).

The DSS works like this: there are various versions of the same music for each level. I think there are 5 versions, that range from eiree to super-upbeat, according to the possible moods for the nightopians. Each music is split in blocks (I think there are 8 blocks), and, based on nightopians' mood, it picks a different version of the music for each block, mixing the different music versions, thus creating a different sounding music everytime the nightopians change their mood.

So, how on earth do you rip all different DSS versions for each music?

The answer is: Christmas NiGHTs. In that "demo" you can unlock extras by playing a memory game everytime you complete the demo level. One of the extras is the jukebox, where you can "build" your music. You choose a level, then you can set the DSS for each part of the track yourself. Then hook up your Saturn to the computer and record.

Originally posted by E Nice@May 20, 2003 @ 12:32 AM

Search the disc and for .sfd files, copy them to your comp and rename them as .wav.

is that poss?
blink.gif

M3d10n Posted on May 21, 2003 @ 09:32 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm... there is no need for that: the game has a sound test.

But you only can listen to the default DSS version for each track.

DSS means "Dynamic Sound System", and in Nights this means the music changes depending on the mood of the nightopians in each level. You can check the current DSS status in-game by pausing and pressing L+R+Y (I think).

The DSS works like this: there are various versions of the same music for each level. I think there are 5 versions, that range from eiree to super-upbeat, according to the possible moods for the nightopians. Each music is split in blocks (I think there are 8 blocks), and, based on nightopians' mood, it picks a different version of the music for each block, mixing the different music versions, thus creating a different sounding music everytime the nightopians change their mood.

So, how on earth do you rip all different DSS versions for each music?

The answer is: Christmas NiGHTs. In that "demo" you can unlock extras by playing a memory game everytime you complete the demo level. One of the extras is the jukebox, where you can "build" your music. You choose a level, then you can set the DSS for each part of the track yourself. Then hook up your Saturn to the computer and record.

Now Thats intresting...........but i thought the BGM change had nothing to do with the mood of the nightopians, but with the number of them you (A) - set free from the purple egg's throughout the level OR (
cool.gif
ones that you attack by doing a 360 loop near one...

but also in Xmas Nights, you could only play one stage....so you cant rip all of them, just the ones for that stage!

Sorry for all the confusion. I'm not experienced in burning games from iso's nor do I have a modded Saturn so I never had need to use anything other than EZ Creator.

As for the question of above, yes. I have done it. Just select the .sfd file/s, copy them to your comp harddrive and rename them as waves and it'll play fine.

kool! i'm gonna dig out my satrun games.....see what i can find!

(i sure hope shining force 3 has these sfd files!)

1st edit

NO! sod the last statment!

ICE! I'm bringing the Burning rangers sound track to SegaXtreme!

:party

2nd edit

ok...SCAREY....WHY did sonic team put a sound sample of claris from Nights into burning rangers!!!!!!

the things im finding using this tool (acx player!)...........

Originally posted by Gaz_2_k@May 21, 2003 @ 09:52 PM

Now Thats intresting...........but i thought the BGM change had nothing to do with the mood of the nightopians, but with the number of them you (A) - set free from the purple egg's throughout the level OR (B) ones that you attack by doing a 360 loop near one...

but also in Xmas Nights, you could only play one stage....so you cant rip all of them, just the ones for that stage!

Play the games before saying what they do/don't have :p

Xmas NiGHTs' jukebox has ALL tracks for ALL levels from the full game, including the "Dreams Dreams..." songs (but I think it only has the adult version).

Also, after selecing the level, the Jukebox takes you to a grid-ish screen. The rows are the "mood" and the collums are the track's sections. Each "mood" is represented by a nightopian face showing a different exporession. There is a happy one, a super happy one, a normal one, an angry one, a crazy one...

Xmas NiGHTs ain't a demo, per see. It's more like a bonus disc, like Shining Force Premium Disc and Grandia Digital Museum.

Things you can unlock in Xmas NiGHTs:

- the complete Jukebox with all versions of the synth tracks from the full game

- a big art collection

- 4 versions of the Spring Valley level (normal, xmas, winter, Sonic)

- The snow level's first mare (sunset version)

- 2 bosses (GillWing and "Puffy" Robotnick)

- "Dreams Dreams..." karaoke (NiGHTs will fly through the level on it's own and the lyrics will appear on the screen)

- Two (or was it 3?) ending credits with different artwork each

- Play as Sonic (Spring Valley has changed graphics for a Sonic theme, and you run freely collecting rings and doing Sonic stuff. The boss is Puffy, but they put a Robotnik model instead)

And I think there is some stuff I forgot, since it has been a while since I played it.

Back