I....despise...XP

I was running Win98 till november last year then i upgraded to XP Pro.....untill now, i've never looked back.........but i'm wanting to put 98 back on my pc....as i cant run some games (even with compatability mode)...and neverwinter nights suffers a big lack of speed in XP :(

Win2k pro! :agree

I've used all versions of Windows since Win3.1 . . . even WinME :p , and I agree that Win2k pro is your best bet.

I use Win2k pro on my Mom's computer because she like to keep it on for weeks on end. The only time she reboots is when the power goes out. :lol: . . but everytime I use it, it is nice, quick, and snappy.

I've never seen it crash or BSOD.

It's a Celeron 566Mhz with 256MB RAM, and according to the task manager it rarely uses half of that memory. . . (but I'm not suggesting 128MB is enough, I'm just saying this setup is happy enough with 256MB)

Win2k Pro is best with it's latest service pack. For a while, the old service pack made it hang forever when shutting down. It would display "Saving settings" and sit there for about a minute, and then shut down. It didn't freeze, it just took ages. However, with the latest SP it shuts down in a blink of an eye.

It takes a small learning curve from 9x, but well worth it. For example; I thought DMA was enabled and was disappointed in my CD-burning speeds. I checked the device manage and noticed I have NOT enabled DMA. Once it was enabled, this setup is a CD-burning monster! :D

This computer has not been tested with Games, or old DOS apps. However, all of my 9x software works perfect on it.

PS: DOS rules!! :bow deltree windows /y

Cloud , Mac is a good os. but the problem is apple is so far behind, gaming wise, and power, the newest systems, ibook's or g- whatever, are inferior to intel as far as top speed. I am not sure what they are out with, but I know they can't touch the speed that intel and amd have out. But back to gaming, mac blows in that area, but as far as a "safe" or stable os.. yeah mac is better, but as far as games go, they are waaaaaaaaaaaay far behind.

Mrr. None of you know anything about OS's... except maybe antime and Curtis.

Cloud especially not.

I don't feel like elaborating right now, but I will later. For now though, I'll comment on the thread start...

I finally got myself a new machine with good specs but I've stumbled onto one major flaw - it runs windows Xp. Does anyone actually have & like this new crapload from Microsoft?

I do. XP Pro has been working brilliantly for me ever since I stopped fucking around with Creative's SBLive! drivers. Before that, that was the only problem I had with it.

I can't burn cds with my 2 usual burner programs,

Odd, the only one that doesn't work with XP is EasyCD, and I honestly hope that isn't one of your usual burner programmes. You might need to force a new ASPI layer, though, since XP's is a bit wonky - not that that's stopped me from nearly killing my Yamaha burner using Nero far too much :cool:

I can't correctly install my favorite pc game (freespace 2),

What does it do wrong? What errors does it give? And is FS2 a DOS game or Win95+? If it's DOS you can get various DOS environments to help out. If it's Windows, it might have some problems with Windows NT, which isn't the fault of MS at all. Try compatibility modes. They even help installing things if you temp-set them for the files on the CD.

and it just plain sucks ass a million more ways. I haven't found anything I like about it more than '98 other than it looks a bit spiffier. "New and improved" windows? More like "more power sucking with bonus holes!"

Amusing aside: My 800MHz P3 with (at the time) 128MB DRDRAM has been faster with XP Pro than with 2k or 98SE from day 1. I've never actually bothered to fuck around with killing services or anything, because I've honestly never had issues with performance. I am now, though, since both of my HDD's are chronically full, but other than that... even WITH all the frills, my performance is BETTER than 98SE/2kPro.

Oh, and not to mention first time I connected after getting how I was greeted with, of course, the blaster worm.

That's why MS released a patch for the flaw months in advance - in fact, it's only users' stupidity that allowed MSBlast to propagate. MS issued a statement about the vulnerability and patched it long before MSBlast appeared.

And now coming back to the boards I've discovered that when I hit post it posts but then decides to just sit there with the "post reply" button down making me think that it hasn't posted and forcing me to open a new window to check the topic to see if it has actually felt like doing what I told it to.

In IE? Wow, I forsook IE some time ago in favour of Firebird, but I never had that problem. Check your browser settings, you must have screwed something up.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Sep 1, 2003 @ 12:03 AM

Oh, and not to mention first time I connected after getting how I was greeted with, of course, the blaster worm.

That's why MS released a patch for the flaw months in advance - in fact, it's only users' stupidity that allowed MSBlast to propagate. MS issued a statement about the vulnerability and patched it long before MSBlast appeared.

That's not going to help you much if you're installing W2K/XP now. Both systems have built-in features that should help block the worms, but they're not trivial to set up (at least on W2K). The obvious solution is to install a third-party firewall before connecting to the Internet for the first time, but then you must somehow have access to one.

Almost any version of Windows can be great if you're not dumb. They all also have the advantage of very high hardware and software compatibility, but one might argue that's only an indirect result of a high userbase.

I personally don't care at all if Mac OS is crap for gaming. That's what console games are for! I don't wanna have to worry about "Hm... is my processor fast enough? Do I have enough RAM? What about my video card?" Then have to shell out a shitload of cash just to upgrade my damn computer, just to play one damn game.

Besides, the ONLY computer games I play are on Mac anyways (Quake, Quake II, StarCraft, Diablo, Warcraft II, Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Wolfenstein).

As long as Apple has id and Blizzard's support, I'm cool.

If you excuse me, I'm gonna go to Apple.com and check out some Mac stuff

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Tagrineth, I know pleanty about os's but I was taking a non technical stand on the matter, but anyway xp is a great os, but ms has the problem, of being a huge target of the hacker world. this has and will always plague them. Its not that they make an inferior product, but its that with over 2 million lines of code (win2k) and even more in xp, then factor in their constant efforts to " make windows more and more user friendly." which they have done, and done well since win2k, there will always be vulnerabilities, its definate. and unavoidable.

but thats just my two cents..lol. thanks. now if you'll excuse me, I am off to play my MICROSOFT xbox.. lol.

:cheers

Originally posted by stack99@Aug 31, 2003 @ 08:56 PM

Tagrineth, I know pleanty about os's but I was taking a non technical stand on the matter, but anyway xp is a great os, but ms has the problem, of being a huge target of the hacker world. this has and will always plague them. Its not that they make an inferior product, but its that with over 2 million lines of code (win2k) and even more in xp, then factor in their constant efforts to " make windows more and more user friendly." which they have done, and done well since win2k, there will always be vulnerabilities, its definate. and unavoidable.

but thats just my two cents..lol. thanks. now if you'll excuse me, I am off to play my MICROSOFT xbox.. lol.

:cheers

*Goes to the APPLE website and grovels in front of his computer* *goes to Windows website of MS, and about ready to punch screen in hatred*

Apple

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

I'm sorry to burst your bubble cloud, but overall apple is kinda crap alltogether. The only apple item I own is an Ipod and they seem to enjoy dicking around their windows users.

From a fanboy point of view: Of course they enjoy dicking around with iPod's Windows users! THEY'RE WINDOWS USERS! :) :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :cool: :lol: :D :bow

From an actual non-fanboy point of view: Uh... uh... I'm too much of an Apple fanboy to reply in that way :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Could you please tone down the fanboyism Cloud? It's both irrational and irritating. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by antime+Aug 31, 2003 @ 04:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Aug 31, 2003 @ 04:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tagrineth@Sep 1, 2003 @ 12:03 AM

That's not going to help you much if you're installing W2K/XP now. Both systems have built-in features that should help block the worms, but they're not trivial to set up (at least on W2K). The obvious solution is to install a third-party firewall before connecting to the Internet for the first time, but then you must somehow have access to one. [/b][/quote]

People not downloading the patch is what allowed MSBlast to propagate in the first place. Had people listened to MS and used Win Update as they should have, it wouldn't be an issue.

Stack99: Sorry, I didn't see your post right above mine. 8) I would've included your name if I had.

Curtis: Thank you.

I have used every major MS OS since DOS 6.22, including their server line. Win XP has been one the most stable they have made. Plus To take advantage of newer memory sizes, the older OS won't acknowledge they are there. I have been using XP since the Beta phase and have yet to encounter a serious problem. The biggest issue was Easy Cd creator not working. Which was no big loss. Nero and the rest work much better. And as far as game compatability goes, the whole NT system has problems with older games, whether its NT, 2K, or XP. I was amazed at how bad the Blaster worm was. Considering MS patched it about a month before the worm was released.

And if you think game compatability is bad know, wait for the new OS. It is MS first true 64 bit OS.

On a side note, what program do people use to tweak XP? There is tons of stuff that would be nice to shut off/remove.

Originally posted by Curtis@Sep 1, 2003 @ 04:42 AM

Could you please tone down the fanboyism Cloud? It's both irrational and irritating. Thanks. :)

Okay okay....

If I have to, I guess...

:) ;) :cool: :lol: :D :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :bow

Originally posted by schi0249@Sep 1, 2003 @ 12:45 PM

And if you think game compatability is bad know, wait for the new OS. It is MS first true 64 bit OS.

Uh, no. Longhorn != 64-bit.

Longhorn's only majour change is a 3D accelerated (D3D9) GUI.

WinXP already has a 64-bit version, I doubt the next Windows will default to that.

Originally posted by schi0249@Aug 31, 2003 @ 09:45 PM

On a side not, what program do people use to tweak XP? There is tons of stuff that would be nice to shut off/remove.

Tentatively waiting for XpLite.

http://www.litepc.com

As Dai/Taelon can attest, their work with 98lite is ridiculous (in a good way). I had a 98lite machine setup (thinkpad 600E) as a file server, it's been up for 2 months without a restart. I imagine XP/2KLite will do wonders for the reliability, stability and operating speeds of both 2K and XP.

But in the meantime, here's some that I've found fairly useful:

http://www.pcaviator.com/articles/5_XP_tweaks.htm

http://www.tweakxp.com/

http://www.windowsxpatoz.com/

Windows XP 64 bit isn't heavily used. From my understanding, Longhorn does default to 64 bit. Microsoft primarily markets that for development usage. Try finding a retail copy of it. In addition to what you metioned, they are also debuting a new file system.

Thanks for those links MTXBlau. I'll have to look some of that over. I have read a few other people who rave about 98lite.

Back