IE WILL NOT DIE

Gallstaff

Established Member
This is pissing me off.

I just uninstalled IE yesterday and now, every 3 seconds it seems i get over 20 popup windows from internet explorer. I use firebird and with the internal popup blocker i've almost forgotten what they look like, but now they're coming up like crazy.

I could just be not even browsing a website and 20 will pop up.

What the hell is causing this and why would it be IE since i uninstalled it from windows compenents a day ago.

Ah heh I've actually had ad aware pro for a long time I just keep forgetting it's there.

That did it, thanks for reminding me!

Installing the IE component doesn't actually do anything to uninstall IE itself, nor is it even possible to do so anymore, AFAIK.

Nope. The functionality IE provides is used by alot of windows components (the help system for example). So if all of it's libraries were gone alot of programs would die. When you "uninstall" IE all it does is get rid of the files that are needed to let you start it. It's internal libraries are still there. Spyware knows this and uses it to keep the messages comming even if you don't use IE.

The entire Windows explorer shares nearly all of its functions with IE as of Windows 98.

Open an ordinary folder and look at the toolbars... then type a web address in the address bar.

Edit: Which is funny because bundling IE with Windows is what MS got nailed for with the whole monopoly trial... so much for enhancing Windows's functionality.

The whole point of their furthering the integration of IE into the OS and making it an indispensible component was the fact that by doing so, they were able to work around those legal issues- making it a 'core part of the operating system' and so no longer 'bundled'.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jan 17, 2004 @ 06:32 PM

The entire Windows explorer shares nearly all of its functions with IE as of Windows 98.

Yeah, found out that iexplore was important for the computer when I ctrl-alt-del iexplore to save some memory... bloody thing crashed my computer :angry:

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Jan 18, 2004 @ 04:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Jan 18, 2004 @ 04:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tagrineth@Jan 17, 2004 @ 06:32 PM

Yeah, found out that iexplore was important for the computer when I ctrl-alt-del iexplore to save some memory... bloody thing crashed my computer :angry: [/b][/quote]

I do that all the time. o_O

Actually MS went further than just making lots of stuff use IE components, they actually now distribute core Win32 component updates as part of IE.

What's the obsession with removing IE? Just don't use it. If you're hardcore about stripping everything you don't need out, I assume you've run XPLite/2000Lite on it. That'll teach it to... have... things...

Back