In The Hunt Saturn Vs. PSX?

Does anyone have opinions on which is better? I'm also wondering if there are any codes for Saturn version?

I have acquired both. Most games can take 5 minutes to up to a half hour to decide which port is better. But this one is taking considerably longer.

Saturn:

Pro:

-More animation frames for everything (explosions, motion, etc).

-Smoother animation

-Runs faster (when not in "slow-down" mode).

-Cool FMV intro.

-More saturated colors

Con:

-Slows down at certain parts of stages (I hear this is programmed intentionally to reproduce the arcade slowdown)

-Slightly less resolution to images (could be because the PS2 has S-Video output and the Saturn uses component).

-No codes so far.

PSX:

Pro:

-Consistent framerate. It doesn't slow down anywhere.

-Playstation-unique audio track is pretty good.

-Playstation-mode provides a shield power-up (doesn't appear to do anything else though).

-Level select code available

-Higher resolution images.

Con:

-The consistent framerate feels a bit sluggish compared to the Saturn when the Saturn is not in one of the slow-down spots.

-Less frames of animation.

If you research on the interweb, you'll hear people complain about the slowdown in the Saturn version, and then say the PSX has no slowdown. However, the fact is the Saturn version runs a bit faster and smoother most of the time, when it's not encountering the slowdown. It's just because of the contrast with hitting the slowdown that causes people to notice.

And the more frames of animation in the explosions and stuff on the Saturn version is subtle, but you notice the difference, and kind of miss it when viewing the PSX version.

Based on the subtle differences of slightly smoother gameplay and slightly more frames of animation, I lean towards the Saturn version.

The only problem is, the presence of level-skip codes for the PSX is a big draw. What if I get stuck and can never get to the last level on the Saturn version? Some poeple on the interweb seem to say that the game is pretty easy. But I always like level skip codes.

You figure there must be some kind of level skip code on the Saturn version. The developers would have put one in, same as they did for the PSX. Just nobody found it yet.

I had the same conundrum with Viewpoint Genesis vs. Viewpoint PSX. But it was easier with that one. The PSX was pretty much far superior on all fronts, with the high res graphics and no slowdown, while the genesis had lots of slowdown and was missing a lot of enemies. The only thing is that the genesis music is way better. It really makes use of the genesis bass to give some great sonic-style thumpin techno beats.

Back