intel centrio?

Gallstaff

Established Member
Dude what is this intel centrio thing? Is this replacing with pentium or is it just like a cheap alternative like the celeron?

Centrino is basically a marketing name for Intel's latest line of laptop chips (processor/system logic/wireless networking). Nothing industry-shattering unless you're really into mobile/low power computing.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mar 16, 2003 @ 03:07 AM

Centrino is basically a marketing name for Intel's latest line of laptop chips (processor/system logic/wireless networking). Nothing industry-shattering unless you're really into mobile/low power computing.

it has built in wireless netoworking that also draws less power than add-on wireless cards

The Centrino cpu from intell isn't just another mobile CPU.. In the past, intel and amd would only add a few powersaving features here and there to their Desktop cpus and call it mobile.. The Centrino is truly the first CPU designed for Mobile usage.. A Centrino laptop can last 4 to 8 hours.. It's not quite a P3 or a P4, but in between both of them.. It's performance clock for clock is higher than a P4 desktop cpu..

Check out this article for more indepth info into the design and technology in Centrino.. Suffice to say, if your gonna get a laptop soon, get a Centrino..

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1800

The Centrino cpu from intell isn't just another mobile CPU.

Centrino is not a CPU at all, it's a "platform" or a "technology". The CPU is Pentium-M (also called Banias), and systems that don't include the entire Centrino "family" (i.e. are lacking Intel's 802.11 module) are Pentium-M systems rather than Centrino systems - this apparently includes systems that have an 802.11 module other than Intel's.

The Centrino is truly the first CPU designed for Mobile usage

Notwithstanding the wider world of programming models other than IA-32, I'd say Transmeta beat them to it; Crusoe-based laptops that can last 7+ hours have been around for a couple years now.

Suffice to say, if your gonna get a laptop soon, get a Centrino.

Or you could actually look at features and prices and get whatever you need/want...

You wouldnt beleive how long my p4 2.2ghz laptop lasts on batteries....

I would be lucky to get 2hrs out of this monster.

That centrio would be great when it comes out.

Best place to look is www.xtremenotebooks.com

I highly recomend them if you are looking for a laptop!

Transmeta's approach is a very interesting one - they can certainly win the battery life contest. But Centrino offers pretty decent performance with good battery life. The only problem is that the Centrino platform (as ExCyber pointed out, not just a CPU) will not come cheap. Unless battery life is really important, I'd consider a mobile P4/Athlon. Perhaps even a notebook with a desktop CPU, the only problem with those is that they typically chop the clock speed in half when running off the battery. At that point I'd consider a Desknote, possibly with a killer external battery.

my 266Mhz Thinkpad battery would only last 1hr max

now the battery is pretty much blown and will last about 15 min if that

Back