Intros.....

I was interested in making intros for my rips of SCD and Saturn games, like Echelon did for the DC. I know its more difficult given the nature of the systems...but I just basically wanna make a short flash intro so that I can tag my releases so that no one else can steal em and pass em off as there on. Plus I thought it'd be cool.

If any one knows how I can get some sort of shockwave movie...(or anything really) onto either of the two systems please lemme know cuz it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I hope this was the right forum.....

I just basically wanna make a short flash intro so that I can tag my releases so that no one else can steal em and pass em off as there on.

If you can put an intro in, someone else can take it out - and most likely with less effort than it took you to insert it. Besides, there's a very good chance that putting that sort of thing in would just piss people off given that these games are seen as classics. You might as well leave the credit where it belongs - with the original developers.

People who put intros in games need to be shot. Then stamped on and further shot just to make sure. Moron.

Oh and unless you happen to be doing a byte by byte check you would be hard pressed to tell if something is originally yours or not.

Okay look, I never started a flame with anybody on these forums and I've been here for close to a year? Was your name calling ABSOLUTELY necessary? Thanks for belittling me....sheesh.....

I wouldn't be so dismissive of intros, seeing as that's where the demoscene got started. A well-coded intro is a beautiful sight and a show of skill (but a flash movie would be pathetic). Regarding the possibility of re-rips, considering that you're already stealing you don't really have a leg to stand on. It's not even as if what you're doing (ripping SCD and Saturn games) requires any special skills, there's no copy-protection or anything involved.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of intros, seeing as that's where the demoscene got started.

I'm just trying to point out that a lot of the people who would be interested in SCD/Saturn stuff in the first place would probably be pissed to see someone distributing "defaced" versions of the games, particularly because - as you say - there's not really any skill involved. There's also the little problem that the kind of intros this kind of mindset would produce would completely suck, but that's really secondary to the overall principle.

Well, first off lemme say that I was just making an assumption in the first place that the intro's seen where shockwave's. I didn't know that they weren't but thats what my original question was..."How to make them?"

Regardless, I just thought it would be a good idea to set a standard of sorts that way at least if people see a game with an intro, they know it was ripped by so and so and therefore it works.

Well, first off lemme say that I was just making an assumption in the first place that the intro's seen where shockwave's. I didn't know that they weren't but thats what my original question was..."How to make them?"

They are programs, written much like any other program on the system might be.

Regardless, I just thought it would be a good idea to set a standard of sorts that way at least if people see a game with an intro, they know it was ripped by so and so and therefore it works.

But what if someone then re-rips their copy (say, because they deleted the files and a friend wants that game) and encodes the music with a crappy encoder? Now your name is attached to a weak copy of the game.

If you're primarily concerned about image integrity, probably the best thing you could do is provide hashes (such as SFV or MD5) on a website somewhere for people to verify against.

Well, I already include SFV's with my rips, putting on a website is a pretty good idea actually.

And, you are correct when you state that my name COULD be attatched to an inferior rip....still, I don't see how likely that is or how widespread it could become.

So, to reiterate, the intro is a program like any other, written for the platform. be it SCD or Saturn? And to write one, I would have to familirarize myself with the dev libraries and such? Also, has anyone made an intro or anything similar already?

It's an interesting idea, but it looks like a lot of work now, and the effort isn't worth it, I don't think. Especially seeing as how there are so many potential problems. I just wanted, a interesting way of tagging my files...Thanks for the info guys, thats what SX is all about, well to me at least.. ???

And, you are correct when you state that my name COULD be attatched to an inferior rip....still, I don't see how likely that is or how widespread it could become.

I'd say it's at least as likely as someone "stealing" the release.

So, to reiterate, the intro is a program like any other, written for the platform. be it SCD or Saturn?

Mostly. There are a few extra tricks that would have to be done to properly chainload and boot the game's original boot code, but that's in addition to the work of actually writing the demo.

You really shouldn't care about people stealing something that's already stolen anyway.

There's better things to worry about, like how many licks it takes to get to the toosie-roll center of a tootsie pop.

Back