Iron f**king Maiden!

Probably the only time in a century Iron Maiden (my favorite band) came to Minnesota was last year, but I didn't go because I didn't want to have to go to Ozzfest and pay for all the other crappy bands and the stoners who would be there watching them.

So we vowed that next time they came close, we'd go see them, since I've never seen them live, and they're getting old so better catch'em before they buck the kicket.

Well, they came by Chicago for the Matter Of Life And Death tour. I was planning a trip down there anyway for my yearly visit to UIUC, so it was all nice like that.

I've never thought they were that great live, from listing to live CDs. So I didn't have super high hopes. In their prime, their audio quality and bruce's singing were far superior on the album than live (but of course the live experience is far more than just audio quality). Kind of like how James Labrie can't hold a tune live, but they always play interesting extra stuff.

And then in the No Prayer/Fear Of the Dark/Tattoed Millionair days, Bruce was using that raspy scratch voice that destroyed his voice for half a decade. His live singing was just awful then.

And now he's just getting old, and losing his voice a bit on his last couple solo and Maiden albums. Sounding a bit nasal-clogged-upped-ness.

So, I was just suprised at how amazing the live show actually was. I'd bought the new album, and it had a couple standout tracks, but of course wasn't as good as Powerslave/Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son. Well, they played the entire new album from start to finish live, and it actually sounded better live than on the album.

And then they played a selection of old hits, and I was absolutely stunned. Bruce actually sang them near as well as the original album. I didn't think he had those high notes left in him. He must be taking really good care of his coords these days. He actually all the notes well in Fear, Maiden, Midnight, Evil, and Hallowed. He didn't even come close in the Fear-era live albums, and heck he even did better than Live after Death where he still seemed a bit winded on the high notes.

The only downside is that Murray changed his half of the solo in 2 Minutes To Midnight somewhere in the late 80's and is still playing it the lesser different way. But it's fun to watch Janick toss the guitar around.

And of course, there was Eddie! In the middle of Iron Maiden (the song), the background explodes and a gigantic tank rises up from the background. The turret rotates to point toward the crowd, and the top opens and Eddie's head pops out. Giant treads break out of the stage.

And that wasn't the end! During Evil That Men Do, the 15 foot army Eddie holding a machine gun enters and walks around the stage!

Totally rad dude!

Lucky ass! I bought ozzfest tickets when they were gunna come last year w/ ozzfest but like a month before the show, they cancelled ozzfest and I didn't get to see them or In Flames...fuckers. Pisses me off still lol.

Back