Is it possible to play Gen ROMS on SCD?

Is there anyway to play genesis roms on the Sega CD?

Just kidding...

I found some strange mega drive carts in korea. Including some bootleg, homemade games (pong, omega race, etc.) and a multi cart of master system games.

Here is my question. Are the master system roms capable of being played on gen with no modification or are these games on the multi cart rewritten for the Genesis?

Because I have seen some SMS to GEN converters that were just like a cart extender. is the hardware that similar?

Read what Arakon wrote about Phantasy Star I for the Genesis. (Quotes taken from the Developers Central forum.)

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30 2002, 8:04 pm

Isn't the PSC PS1 actually the Genesis version? This way they would have less problems in running it, by "emulating" only the genesis, and not the SMS.

Originally posted by Arakon@May 30 2002, 8:48 pm

there is no genesis version, technically.

all the genesis cart is is a SMS rom in a cart wired up as a SMS adapter.

a dump of it would give you a 100% SMS rom, NOT a genesis rom that any genny emu could run.

yes, Sega Genesis has the z80 from the SMS, and the powerbase converter disables the 68000 (8Mhz Motorolla chip) and puts the z80 as the quarterback.

this is going to be a strange request, but has anyone built there own PB converter, or wired a SMS cart with the conversion?

I haven't, but it's technically no problem at all. all the SMS adapters contain no useful hardware AT ALL, it's just a pcb that wires the SMS cart pins to the genny cart pins and puts GND on one pin. that's all.

it's just a pcb that wires the SMS cart pins to the genny cart pins and puts GND on one pin. that's all.

IIRC, the adapters also have a pullup on 68K D15 (which is presumably mapped to Z80 NMI in M3/SMS mode), with a button to ground it; i.e. the pause button. I'm not sure it's 100% necessary to pull it high, but my vote goes squarely against leaving an NMI line floating, even if the glue logic probably takes care of it.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Nov. 28 2002, 5:50 pm

IIRC, the adapters also have a pullup on 68K D15 (which is presumably mapped to Z80 NMI in M3/SMS mode), with a button to ground it; i.e. the pause button. I'm not sure it's 100% necessary to pull it high, but my vote goes squarely against leaving an NMI line floating, even if the glue logic probably takes care of it.

That was English, right? ???

Originally posted by ExCyber@Nov. 27 2002, 12:50 am

it's just a pcb that wires the SMS cart pins to the genny cart pins and puts GND on one pin. that's all.

*Spends a minute translating*

I need to brush up on my technobabble.

Originally posted by Nemesis+Nov. 30 2002, 5:05 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nemesis @ Nov. 30 2002, 5:05 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ExCyber@Nov. 27 2002, 12:50 am

*Spends a minute translating*

I need to brush up on my technobabble.[/b][/quote]

understanding tma is the easy part for me, understanding what exactly they mean, is hard, as I've only looked at the insides of some consoles. haven't modded any or fixed any yet.

I'm just trying to provide slightly more complete information. I was probably also extremely tired when I wrote that one and mistook this for a thread I saw somewhere else where someone was interested in building their own PBC clone...

Back