Is my memory chip fried?

I've searched every battery-related thread I could find, trying to solve my problem, but the only solution I can come up with is that my internal memory chip is kaput. I got the unit off ebay, and the battery was obviously dead, because it couldn't hold the date/time info and never kept a save game (even though i made sure that i could load a savegame IN THE GAME), so I changed it with two seperate batteries from a brand new VMU. Nothing. So I went out and bought a 2032 from best buy, same thing. I makes me enter the date/time every time I boot up, even with the brand new battery inside, and no saves are retained. Now, if i can actually SAVE something and load it back up during gameplay, does that mean the memory chip still functions? Hope so.

angry.gif

Originally posted by saucyjack@Feb 11 2003, 04:01 PM

Now, if i can actually SAVE something and load it back up during gameplay, does that mean the memory chip still functions? Hope so.

The Saturn retains saves using mains power when its turned on, so the battery only comes into play when it is switched off. This makes your problem still sound battery related rather than memory related.

Are you sure you haven't got the battery in upside down?

Maybe the doodad that switches to the battery when the Saturn is powered down is stuffed.

I just don't know. *shrug*

Eh...without seeing the actual unit, it is hard to just tell you what the problem is (yes, stuffed==fried). The easiest solution would be to buy another Saturn, but the problem may be simple enough to fix.

One thing to consider may be that the battery holder is damaged. If you have some soldering skills, it may be worth your while to replace this - you should be able to find an exact fit at an electronics store.

FOLLOW-UP:

If i bought a memory cart (like an action replay, or one of the 1st party memory cartridges), would i be able to save games? I doubt the memory bank in my saturn that's powered by the battery will ever work again, but can games be directly saved to the cartridge instead?

You'd be best off getting an official Sega backup cart as you can save directly to them 'in game'. 3rd party carts (action replay ones anyway) rely on you saving to the Saturn's internal memory and then shuffling saves around using the cart's memory manager.

Thanks for the quick answer. I suppose I'll still have to reset the damn clock and calendar everytime i turn the unit on, though? I'm also guessing the 1st party carts are expensive, might be cheaper to buy myself a new unit.
unsure.gif

A third-party save cart could work, just press reset when you want to stop playing and copy the saves to cart memory before powering off.

Originally posted by saucyjack@Mar 20, 2003 @ 08:59 AM

Thanks for the quick answer. I suppose I'll still have to reset the damn clock and calendar everytime i turn the unit on, though? I'm also guessing the 1st party carts are expensive, might be cheaper to buy myself a new unit.
unsure.gif

Well, keep in mind that the Saturn memory is limited, so you might be doing yourself a favor in the long run by just getting a memory cart.

Back