is my saturn 20 or 21 pin?

i just ordered the 21 pin saturn mod without knowing that there are 2 difference types of saturns. how can ya tell which one ya got without opening it.. I am afraid i got the 20 pin cause it looks older.

The model number is MK-80000A

The buttons on it are circles not ovals like i have read in some other posts.

YAY!!! i thought for sure i was screwed with 20 pin... i got one more question. my saturn came with a crappy rf adapter and i can't seem to find RCA hook up anywhere.. i already ordered the s video hook up cause it was so cheap ($5) but i don't have any tv's with s-video so i really need the RCA hook up.

Does anyone know any good places to buy saturn stuff? Paticularly the RCA hook up.

Originally posted by Dred@Aug. 19 2002, 6:17 am

i just ordered the 21 pin saturn mod without knowing that there are 2 difference types of saturns.

Where did you order the mod from?

There may yet be compatability problems if you have a Saturn with a 64 pin IC.

i ordered from here. i can't tell exactly what mod chip i am getting but it said it was 21 pin.. the picture makes it look like i might be getting the one with the blue wire.
sad.gif
they have a link for the mod chip on the site that gives you installation instructions. they mentioned something about a 64 pin ic saturn and that soldering the blue wire improperly can result in a fried saturn. but then i might not be getting the mod chip that requires the blue wire and then again i may not have the 64 pin ic saturn. i think i can do it.. if i get uncomfortable i might wait for my friend to do it who is an electrician pretty much.

why is there anything i should know?
sad.gif

thanks for the info i will check those links out in a little bit. Is there a way to know for sure if my saturn is the 64 ic or not without opening it? i will prolly have to open it up and find out.

man how fustrating to find that a lot of these mods for saturn are picky on the type of saturn you got... what happened to the all in 1 mod with instructions for all the different models? i know psx mods used to have that.

Open it up and have a look.

You're going to have to do open it up to mod it sooner or later.

In theory all 21 pin mods should work in all 21 pin Saturns. For some unknown reason, they don't. ???

i think i have the 64 pin... i am looking at the cd board and i see 2 square chips each with 16 pins on each side.. looking at the 64 pin ic thread you sent me. The pic shows a rectangle chip with less pins.

So i am assuming i have the 64 pin ic saturn. The ribbon cable is also twisted.

i think my mod chip will be here on wednesday most likely.

thanks for the help

Just to clarify, this is the picture of the 64 pin IC. Its the one at the bottom left of the CD board.

Good luck with modding your Saturn.
smile.gif

Yeah that looks like the one. I can't be sure if its the exact same model but its definently shaped the same way with the same amount of pins.

does the 64 ic present compatability probs with most 21 pin mods?

Right now i been the swap trick and that has been working great so far. So could to direct me to a thread that specifiically gives step by step install for 64 pin ic saturn?

Thanks again
smile.gif

Thanks alot!
smile.gif
A few more questions.
tongue.gif
I am a lil confused on all the different models. i know there is a 20 pin and a 21 pin saturn, but whats makes a saturn model 1 or model 2?

I read everyone keeps saying 21 pin model 1 or 21 pin model 2.. whats the difference? oval buttons?

Is there a 20 pin model 2?

Whats makes 64 ic so imcompatable with most mods?

Also out of all these models what is the difference in terms of stability, performance and reliability?
smile.gif

Oh yeah it looks like i just got an email from jandaman saying they just shipped the product on the 20th. so it looks like i will most likely get my mod chip on thursday or friday.
tongue.gif

Thanks again.
smile.gif

Thanks alot!
smile.gif
A few more questions.
tongue.gif
I am a lil confused on all the different models. i know there is a 20 pin and a 21 pin saturn, but whats makes a saturn model 1 or model 2?

Model 1 Saturns have oval power and reset buttons, a CD access LED and are usually 20 pin.

Model 2 Saturns have round power and reset buttons, no CD access LED and are 21 pin.

I read everyone keeps saying 21 pin Model 1 or 21 pin Model 2.. whats the difference? oval buttons?

It seems all 21 pin Model 1 Saturns have the 64 pin IC, while some Model 2 Saturns have the 64 pin IC and some have the 32 pin IC.

Is there a 20 pin Model 2?

One person has reported having a 20 pin Model 2, but I've heard of no others.

Whats makes 64 ic so imcompatable with most mods?

We just don't know. I suspect a change in software in the PICs on the mods, but I'm only guessing.

Also out of all these models what is the difference in terms of stability, performance and reliability?
smile.gif

I don't know. I've never had a problem with my Model 2.

Oh yeah it looks like i just got an email from jandaman saying they just shipped the product on the 20th. so it looks like i will most likely get my mod chip on thursday or friday.
tongue.gif

Best of luck to you.
smile.gif

Back