Is this a modable saturn?

The best I could say is probably.

The modboards around these days are 21 pin.

This is a round button Saturn and they usually have 21 pin ribbon cable linking the CD board to the main board.

However, someone recently reported a round button Saturn with a 20 pin cable. This is the first and only one I've heard of.

When fitting a modboard you need to attach a signal wire. It attaches to different points on different Saturns.

There are three different types of 21 pin Saturns.

One has an easy to solder to 32 pin IC.

One has a difficult to solder to 64 pin IC.

One has no IC to solder to and is believed to be unmoddable at this time.

Tough decision you've got there... ???

Hmm ok ???

Most of the Saturns do have an IC though, right? I am pretty good at soldering so the 64-pin one should be no problem.

Unfortunately I couldn't say how likely you are to find a Saturn with the (unmoddable) Sanyo CD unit.

If you look in the Tech Help forum there are people having difficulties modding their 64 pin IC Saturns too.
sad.gif

Originally posted by mal@April 29 2002,00:02

Unfortunately I couldn't say how likely you are to find a Saturn with the (unmoddable) Sanyo CD unit.

Unfortunately, I just found one ???

It only cost me 5 pounds though, so no great loss.

Mike

Sanyo Units are pretty easy to mod. Just take your 21 Pin mod, and put the CD ribbon into one end, and take the other CD ribbon cable (Supplied) and plug that into the mainboard. Then just check to make sure your power is connected and everything should work. The trick is to ignore the PC-Trap board as it does nothing.

What about the *ahem* signal wire?

99% of the SX 'board members don't have access to the chinese 'Wonder Mods'. ???

Those arn't wonder mods. Actualy the ones with the CD ribbon cable you pass through is one of the most popular types. If your refuring to the plug in ones Lik-sang sells, those are the crappyest mods you can get. There are like all of 2 places which sell those, and the rest of the english retailers if any all buy them from Lik-sang. Half the time they are shorted out, and the other half the cheap parts they used probably were rejects from an assembly line.

I'l see if I can find something though, but those are just regular mods. The ones which work with 20+21 pins and do autodetect region settings is probably a good quality one.

Here is a chip:

modchip3.jpg

The ones that look like this are probably the most common IMHO, and much better quality.

I think it was Platinum Games or Game Star or something which sold them before. I beleave they were UK based.

I was being a bit sarcastic because quite often Cecilia's answers to modding questions refer to modboards that aren't readily available to westerners.

If you can find an international (preferably internet) source of these other mods, everyone will be happy.

Until then however, refering to them as being common and easy to use is becomming a little bit annoying. ???

But what are you talking about!?
smile.gif

Cecilia is correct! Pass though ribbon cable mods are the most popular/common around. Its just the small minority of people come to SX (and I do mean small) which say otherwise because they are the people who get mods from Lik-sang.

Originally posted by Trenton net@May 07 2002,06:21

Its just the small minority of people come to SX (and I do mean small) which say otherwise because they are the people who get mods from Lik-sang.

A lot of people are unable to get to 'chinese' stores and rely on the internet.

I'd love it if there was a good source of the pass through mods available to the rest of us, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Most of us have to make do with the Lik Sang mods.

Saying that it's easy to mod a Saturn with a Sanyo CD (using a mod that you can't easily get) isn't that helpful to most SX 'board members.

About the mod, someone actualy in the buy and sell forum is selling one which is the cable ribbon bypass one. If you get one of those, you won't need the cheap 2 wire mod like Lik-Sang sells. As far as getting some new, I think some US places like Playthegames.com randomly gives out mods (They don't check versions, just whatever they have) so some have 2 wires some have non, ect. But as far as universal mods, and stuff I don't know of any Chinese stores which sell them online.

...someone actualy in the buy and sell forum is selling one which is the cable ribbon bypass one.

OK that's one mod. The initial post was from the middle of April. It might already be sold.

As far as getting some new, I think some US places like Playthegames.com randomly gives out mods (They don't check versions, just whatever they have) so some have 2 wires some have non, ect.

You think that might be available randomly. That's useful.
sarcasm.gif

But as far as universal mods, and stuff I don't know of any Chinese stores which sell them online.

Hence my point. It is no use telling people that they can easily avoid some tricky soldering by getting this type of mod.

Uh, ya...

The mod on the Buy and sell was probably sold, because they are better and more popular mods.

And yes, Playthegames gets all types of mods, and they actualy had to write on the web site "You cannot request which kind you get" because they probably don't want to deal with all the people who start crying about it.

And about gettings mods, whats with your obsession with the internet?!? Most internet stores clear room for new consoles and whatnot. If you want to find things more likely you'l have to go looking for it at a real store, because its already so late in the game for Saturn. If you wanted to find stuff like that, your several years too late!!!

Its the same thing like the Sega Genesis for example. It was infact very popular, but im also equaly sure it would be very hard to find any store who sells them still online. Your best bet would be to go looking in retail stores in person for someone if you wanted them. But that dosn't mean for a long shot its hard to find, or unpopular.

Mal, I don't know about you, but I think Trenton is absolutly right. Out of all my friends, we all have Plug-in cable mods, and the only lamers on our street who have the crappy 2 wire mods are the guys who just now bought a saturn (For FTP pirating) and were so lazy they just probably went to Lik-Sang and got one. And ya, about the internet, your WAY to late. The Saturn for US and even Japan and Chinese markets have already died LOOONG time ago. You need to go in person to get special stuff done.

But even at the flee markets, you can find mods for PSX, Saturn ect. Even some stores still offer modding of Saturns and pre-modded ones. You just have to look around. That is unless your happy about going to Lik-Sang and playing through the nose.

Back