ISO+MP3/ISO+WAV

ISO+MP3 and ISO+WAV .... I have some questions ....

1. Why people ripping games that way I mean is't easyer just make bin/cue from CD ....

2. Can I use Fireburner to load ISO + all tracks and just burn ... will Sega CD image work ? ....

I can answer your first question
smile.gif

The reason so many people rip Sega CD's using the ISO/MP3 system is because the files are MUCH smaller.

That means a faster download.
biggrin.gif

ISO/MP3s are great for people like me who are still on 56k modems, mainly because downloading/uploading a BIN/CUE could take days
sad.gif

A BIN/CUE rip is more "true-to-the-original-disc" than an ISO/MP3 rip.

That's the trade off.

the only real differece is in the sound...and youll only notice if its a bad rip...also some games will be out of sync(Snatcher) in iso mp3 format...(i havent actually had that problem)

Originally posted by XAKEP@June 24 2002,23:54

1. Why people ripping games that way I mean is't easyer just make bin/cue from CD ....

2. Can I use Fireburner to load ISO + all tracks and just burn ... will Sega CD image work ? ....

1. See reasons stated above.

2. Yes, you can. However, when dealing with MP3's, be careful of variable bit-rate MP3's and perhaps non CD quality MP3's (e.g., 96 kbps bit-rate, 32 KHz sampling rate, etc.) as well. In those situations, convert the MP3 to WAV and then use some kind of audio editing tool to upsample the WAV to CD quality: 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 KHz.

Sega CD images should work. However, the same limitations/problems mentioned above apply to Sega CD too (e.g., audio sync problems like in Snatcher). Also, certain titles are best burned Track-At-Once (TAO) as opposed to Disc-At-Once (DAO).

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata+June 24 2002,21:34--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterAkumaMatata @ June 24 2002,21:34)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-XAKEP@June 24 2002,23:54

2. Yes, you can. However, when dealing with MP3's, be careful of variable bit-rate MP3's and perhaps non CD quality MP3's (e.g., 96 kbps bit-rate, 32 KHz sampling rate, etc.) as well. In those situations, convert the MP3 to WAV and then use some kind of audio editing tool to upsample the WAV to CD quality: 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 KHz.

Sega CD images should work. However, the same limitations/problems mentioned above apply to Sega CD too (e.g., audio sync problems like in Snatcher). Also, certain titles are best burned Track-At-Once (TAO) as opposed to Disc-At-Once (DAO).[/b][/quote]

So very easy .. I use WinAmp to get WAV from MP3 .. load ISO and tracks to Bireburner ....easy ..

Can i use CDRW ?

Originally posted by XAKEP+June 29 2002,19:08--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XAKEP @ June 29 2002,19:08)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@June 24 2002,21:34

<!--QuoteBegin-XAKEP
@June 24 2002,23:54

Sega CD images should work. However, the same limitations/problems mentioned above apply to Sega CD too (e.g., audio sync problems like in Snatcher). Also, certain titles are best burned Track-At-Once (TAO) as opposed to Disc-At-Once (DAO).

So very easy .. I use WinAmp to get WAV from MP3 .. load ISO and tracks to Bireburner ....easy ..

Can i use CDRW ?[/b][/quote]

Point #2, if possible get the original CD, or the original WAV file. convert to MP3. this assures best quality (converting MP3->WAV -> upsampling WAV -> Re-encoding to MP3 will lose some quality)

CDRW will not work on Sega CD. the laser isn't powerful enough to read them. If you pumped the laser full of power, possibly, but not worth the damage it may cause.

CDRW for other computers, sure, nothing wrong with that (as long as they can read CD-RW)

[quote name='XAKEP' date='June 29 2002,19:08']

Point #2, if possible get the original CD, or the original WAV file. convert to MP3. this assures best quality (converting MP3->WAV -> upsampling WAV -> Re-encoding to MP3 will lose some quality)

CDRW will not work on Sega CD. the laser isn't powerful enough to read them. If you pumped the laser full of power, possibly, but not worth the damage it may cause.

CDRW for other computers, sure, nothing wrong with that (as long as they can read CD-RW)

Why would someone want to re-encode to MP3 after upsampling the WAV?

so they can make another backup later, without having to rip the CD, and copy it. or for long term storage.

but, Doesn't upsampling something lose some quality?

I understand that it basically Interpolates (guesses) to increase the sample rate. It all depends on how you trust the upsampler used. bad ones will result in a bad sounding file. good can make it seem like CD quality.

yes. that was the point I attempted to make.

more conversions mean more quality loss.

save a JPEG file as a bitmap, convert said bitmap to JPEG, and repeat. after a dozen times, you will see some deterioration of image quality. best to do this with a large image, preferably one that uses millions of colors, and is at least 640 x 480, to see the qualtiy loss.

hence why I suggest getting the actual CD or a WAV from an actual CD, if you intend to burn it. helps to make certain it is CD quality. 44,100 hz 16 bit stereo

Back