issue with 4mb saturn cart

hello all,

Today I picked up a 4mb Saturn cart at a comic book store for ten bucks. It is an official Sega brand cart.

I have tried to play a backup copy of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter using this cart and my modded Saturn. When the game starts up, a screen appears that is written in Japanese. The only phrase I understand is "4mb." No matter what button I press, it returns to the Saturn menu and the game never loads. The same thing happens with Street Fighter Zero 3.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm trying to figure out if it is my Saturn, mod chip, or the cart that is causing the problems.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help and the segastyle guy...i think his name is ritualofthetrout on here, for supplying the great mod chips.

Sounds like the game is Japanese. A modchip only handles backup discs, not out of region discs. When I play my backup of my Japanese region Lunar import, I need the Action Replay as well as the modchip. That's why the AR:4 in 1 carts are so big - they act as a 4MB ram card, a 1MB ram card, a cheat device, and a method to play out of region games.

It isn't because its Japanese because I region patched it. I actually got it working a few times and then it stopped. I've concluded that it is a problem with the cartridge slot on the Saturn. Does anyone know if there's a way to help this without replacing my Saturn? I JUST replaced my old one with the one I'm using now!

Yeah, it wouldn't get to the 4M error screen in the first place if it were a region problem. It's probably a flaky cart slot; third-party carts have a tendency to be thicker than the slot is actually designed for and can bend it out of shape a bit so that official carts don't work reliably.

Back