it exactly what is the GC copyprotection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
have anyone heard what exactly is gc and xbox copyprotection?know that gamecube dvd is small mini DVD,but soon they will release a DVD burner or alreadu have(expensive) and later on probley a mini DVD r.
The only thing i know about the game cube dvd games, if u put in computer DVD player,it only know that there something inside the drive, but no filies appear,no header name, and the properties can't tell the size of the game disc.I dont know what happen if u put an xbox in the computer. To me , gamecube are encrypted in some way.I'm just curious , no one say anything about this topic.

The protection will probably consist of more than one element. Historically, systems have had two types of protection: one aimed at developers and/or publishers, the other aimed at preventing the creation of usable copies.

I haven't seen a GC in action, but I wouldn't be surprised if it reads a Nintendo logo graphic from the disc and refuses to run if it doesn't match a graphic stored in the BIOS - this is the scheme used by Game Boy. This is done because the graphic is (presumably; I know there is some case law that might suggest otherwise) protected by copyright, and thus it's impossible to legally publish GC games without a license from Nintendo because you would have to infringe on their logo copyright. They might use a proprietary filesystem as well, similar to 3DO and Jaguar CD, which would explain being unable to read files or filesystem information. This isn't really a copy protection measure since you don't need to know how the filesystem works to just copy the whole thing; you only need to know that if you want to create or modify a game.

As for copy protection, they really don't have too many options. I suspect it's some proprietary element added to the format - this would most likely be in the form of something that doesn't break physical compatibility with DVD, such as a modified format for error correction. This could also be in the form of a weaker violation of the accepted standard confined to a limited area of the disc, similar to what PSX uses. I highly doubt that it's just the size, as 8cm media has been in the DVD-R standards for years, and consumer DVD burners are really coming down in price (lower end now is somewhere around $350-400US). It's possible that they use something related to the CSS system, since consumer burners and media are intentionally crippled to be incapable of writing those parts of the disc (actually, the authoring drives can't either, but that may change eventually).

In addition, the BIOS ROM may be integrated into the CPU package (so far I've seen no indication of a seperate BIOS ROM package on the board). If this is true, then circumvention will probably take a while, as it would require intercepting the signal from the reader and modifying it.

why not actually buy (or obtain, in one way or another) a copy of a "hk" gamecube game? i know they exist (already)
anyway, those hk ppl must have done SOMETHING right to run the games on gcn, right?

its not too unethical since it will be for um educational purposes.. or something to that nature.. im not banned yet, am i?

I've also heard rumours about HK warez already, but have yet to see any proof of it.

I wonder whether you'd need to use a boot disc or a mod chip or even some sort of swap trick in order to get the "silvers" to read...

Also, this wouldn't really help the casual warez kiddie as they'd still be unable to make their own copies of games at home from "r0mZ" they've downloaded from the net.

Well, all I have been able to gather so far on the copying of GC games is that some HK pirates cracked the protection, and supposedly you can load up CDR's on the GC through a HK add-on drive, somewhat like the Doctor V64. Im not sure if its true or not but It deffinetly seams possible.

I know this is kinda late, but shouldn't you be able to use burned games on the q, well at least with a mod or something. Anyone know some sites to check at for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back