It's all been done!

It's all been done!

I just read an article that estimates only 1% of the entire world population has ever been on the internet.

Considering this... one would thing many domain names would still be available... no! EVERY single possible word or combination of words and numbers has already been reserved by someone else!

Short of a 19 letter nonsensical word made up entirely of consanants, nothing is available! Any possible arrangement of letter and or numbers will turn up something on google... the internet, to me, is overpopulated.

:rant

It's all been done!

overpopulated.com

result:

"Domain Name is not available."

theinternetisoverpopulated.com

result:

.... availble! (but who'd use it...)

I really think at some point in the early 90s, someone just ran the dictionary through registration... Even if you try to make up words, chances are they are either acronyms for some company or significant words in some other language. :damn: (even the numeric representation of pi is taken as a dot com)

It's all been done!

IIRC, work is being done on UTF-8 domain names to allow for domain names in different character sets. Incidentally, you only need something like six or seven ASCII/Latin/English characters to have enough combinations for there to be several for every person on the planet, and that's with just one TLD.

It's all been done!

even with six or seven character possible combinations, the only one's that make sense are taken...

sure, "fjxqzwr.com" is available...

It's all been done!

Actually, I've typed many things into google that were not gibberish and have gotten 0 results multiple times in the past. I can't remember any examples offhand, but it seems to happen fairly often, especially when searching for certain technical terms and/or part numbers and the like.

As for domains... agreed, it can be silly sometimes, but there are a fair number available. I can think of a few offhand that I've thought about registering for quite some time that are available - single-word domains. No, I'm not going to say what they are. ;) .. Really, though, 'overpopulated.com' is something that I would expect to be in use.

WRT that 1% figure, I sincerely doubt it, given the number of machines on the Internet at any given time. A lot of those are not really controlled by users, but given a population of 6 billion people on the globe, that would mean that only 60 million had accessed the 'net, which is only about 1/5 of America's population alone.

It's all been done!

And then theres also Japan where they got friggen toasters that can access the internet and in sweden i hear net cafe's are pretty big

Back