iTunes for Windows

That's okay, I'd rather steal my music.... j/k lol

In any case, I don't really download music very often, and when I do it's usually weird techno remix's and stuff. Do they actually give you mp3 files and stuff when you download the songs? Can they be used in winamp or whatnot? Cause I'm not installing yet another media player on my pc.

Well for now I'm mostly just interested in the player.

But I might check out the store too.

Pepsi is supposed to start a promotion soon where they give out songs from the iTunes store.

Anyway, I believe they sell music in this format:

AAC: MPEG-4 audio

AAC (for Advanced Audio Coding, a big part of the MPEG-4 specification) is the cutting-edge audio codec that’s perfect for the Internet. AAC encoding compresses much more efficiently than older formats like MP3 (which iTunes still supports, by the way), while delivering quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio. In fact, some expert listeners have judged AAC audio files compressed at 128 kbps (stereo) to be virtually indistinguishable from the original uncompressed audio source. iTunes 4 and QuickTime (6.2 and higher) are all you need to get started.

Well, I hate quicktime, but that aside I still probably wouldn't get into this lol. I wouldn't want music in a format other than mp3 (with the sole and small exception of wma) because I have an mp3 player. Of course it all gets back to if they'd even have music I'd like lol. Music pepsi is giving away for free is almost guaranteed to be something I'll hate too lol. I'm already super anal about keeping my mp3's organized and all my id3 tags and stuff, so I dunno how a different player than winamp would serve me anywhere near as well as winamps complete simplicity.

I'm only in for the music organization.

I'm real picky about my tags and such too.

I'm diehard Winamp -- I'm running it on my music server

But I've been looking forward to playing around with iTunes on my desktop

As for the Pepsi thing -- I think you can win a certain amount to spend at the store -- so you can pick whatever you want

OK I gave it a try

quick impressions: not worth it to me to use it heavily.

it's rather bloated. On my inlaws PIII (what I'm on now) it's rather sluggish.

Doesn't give as many organization options as I anticipated. Some nice features like ratings and keeping track of most-played songs, but not enough to get me off Winamp for my use.

I recommend it very much over WMP and MusicMatch though.

The store is nice, but could be better.

Could have more specific genres and wider selection of artists for not-as-popular genres

I'd like to see a p2p pay service like the new napster... that like gives you some credit back for hosting what you download from them to help distribute the bandwith.... like maybe make it so you get a certain amount off on the monthly bill or something. Of course this may just be stupid, cause I may or may not have had a concussion today when i hit my head...

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 17, 2003 @ 09:06 PM

I'd like to see a p2p pay service like the new napster... that like gives you some credit back for hosting what you download from them to help distribute the bandwith.... like maybe make it so you get a certain amount off on the monthly bill or something. Of course this may just be stupid, cause I may or may not have had a concussion today when i hit my head...

No actually I think that sounds like a cool idea

Almost BitTorrent-like

Ok, I think I like Winamp 5 better.

It's still pretty responsive even on slightly older systems.

Media management features are nice, but could be better.

Very nice for an alpha version

hope to see some nice battles between iTunes and Winamp.

iTunes definately raised the bar on joe-consumer-level audio players.

iTunes would have been better if at least they gave you the option to make it look like other WinXP apps. Plus their music store is only available to the US (I believe) which makes that whole part of it useless to me. And I don't feel like downloading yet another player when WinAmp and WMP do the job just fine.

So, I'm faced with an issue here. I have winmx installed on my pc already. My aunt wants me to download 5 songs for my younger cousin and put them on a cd (they're for her line dancing class or something). She doesn't have a problem paying hte 99 cents or whatever per song that itunes and whatnot charges. Now here's the question, how easy is it to burn cd's and stuff with the songs you download in itunes? And is there a monthly fee or anything like that? I mean, I don't really plan on using itunes myself and would probably uninstall it after this. Also, another good itunes question is, if I buy songs off of it, and then say format my pc, will I be able to redownload them should I so desire?

There is no monthly fee.

You can burn CDs with no problem.

Might have to use iTunes to do it though.

I'm not SURE about the formating issue, but Apple has the loosest rules out of all the digital music stores

okay, I think I'll give itunes a shot then. I'd probably own a mac if they were either cheaper... or you could make them cheaper by assembling them yourself (pc style).

Back