Japanese Burning Rangers/Guardian Heroes

racketboy

Established Member
If you're like me and do not know any Japanese, how much would you miss out on in these two games? How much JP dialouge is in them? What language are the menus in?

Thanks!

Why on earth do you want to play these games in Jap ? Both of them existe in English, Guardian Heroes is even PAL optimized...

Originally posted by Djidjo@June 24 2002,08:36

Why on earth do you want to play these games in Jap ? Both of them existe in English, Guardian Heroes is even PAL optimized...

cheaper on eBay :)

Plus I like the Japanese cases and discs better.

Personally I have having the big bulky US Saturn and Sega CD cases. But like having a manual that fits in a regular jewel case.

BTW, what is "PAL optimized"?

get the american versions. guardian heroes is an rpg, so u will miss the entire story, and burning rangers has alot of voice actors that guide you, so i once again recommend the american versions.

Originally posted by klakalou@June 24 2002,11:17

get the american versions. guardian heroes is an rpg, so u will miss the entire story, and burning rangers has alot of voice actors that guide you, so i once again recommend the american versions.

okiedoke -- that's all I needed to know.

I thought Guardian Heroes was a beat-um-up?

thats why its so uniqe, it has heavy rpg roots. even though its a eceptional beat'em up, it introduces magic and hit points, and u even lvl up and can build magic, attack, and defense blarg. and as in any rpg, its heavy on the story as well. and it also has several endings, you will need to beat it several times, and there are over 40 unlockable characters, and a couple hidden lvls. han is the only person to get a new wep, but thats ok.

If you know japanese, the japanese version is better.

Looks nicer, cheaper, and it comes with that tiny cd that has the burning rangers theme song on it, wheee!

PAL Optimized means the game takes full advantage of the higher horizontal resolution (576 lines instead of 480 for NTSC). This means you don't have 2 ugly black borders up and down the screen. There are very few PAL optimized games. Guardian Heroes and Iron Man are the only ones I know.

Anyway, if you're from US, then you don't care about PAL optimization.

Thanks everybody -- don't know Japanese so I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nicely priced copy of them. I could also hit at my brother or parents to get them for me for my b-day -- heck, maybe even my wife
biggrin.gif

You don't need Japanese acknowledge to play JAP Burning Rangers. The game is far too straightfoward, and playing the US version once will get you into the story.

The voice acting in the US version sucked BADLY. Chris' voice is far too annoying and robotic. The original voicas are much, much better. Also, most of the Japanese BR cast were famous japanese seiyuus, who did voice acting for known animes and games.

The BR cast (info from gamefaqs.com):

Shou Amabuse: Hikaru Midorikawa - Zelgadis(Slayers) & Hiro(Lunar: Eternal Blue)

Tillis: Yoko Miyamura - played Asuka(Evangelion)

Reed Phoenix (Lead): Tomokazu Seki - played Touji Evangelion) & Gai(Nadesico)

Big Landman: Ryuuzaburou Ohtomo - the emperor in the Panzer Dragoon series.

Chris Parton: Hiroko Kasahara - Armitage(Armitage III), Fuu(Magic Knight Rayearth), & Melody(Virus).

Iria Klen: Aya Hisakawa - Sailor Mercury(Sailor Moon)

So what's the point of listening to quality voice acting if you don't understand it?

You could probably get through the game without her directions. But IMHO it's an integral part of the game.

The X and Z Buttons would be useless to him
smile.gif

Maybe to prove you're a hardcore Japanophile nut? Why game companies don't get real voice actors for US dubs is beyond me. It would be so cool to have some game voiced by James Earl Jones, Michael J Fox, Cary Elwes, and Robin Wright (and since i mentioned two actors in it, why was there never a video game made based on the Princess Bride
smile.gif
).

When I saw the voice staff for Lunar: SSSC I fell over laughing. Vic really did pick up any cokehead he could find, just look at the guy who did Alex. I bet they paid him in oz. instead of $$$.

As far as Japanese goes, there's very few voice actors I really like. Maybe Okiayu Ryoutarou (Randius in Langrisser IV), Iwao Junko (Schelfaniel in Langrisser IV), Shiozawa Kaneto (Boser/Mysterious Sorceror Fealart in Langrisser I, II, IV and Ostracon in Emerald Dragon, too bad he died a few years ago), Kasahara Hiroko (Tamryn in Emerald Dragon). Probably Toyoshima Machiko (Sugihara Manami in Sentimental Graffiti 1&2 and Rozenshil-hime in Langrisser IV) too, she sings nice.

If you've ever seen seiyuu tryouts, being picked to be a seiyuu is a lot like begin picked to recieve placebo when you visit your doctor
tongue.gif

My biggest gripe with Japanese voice acting is the women. It seems to be an on-going trend that it's "cute" to talk in an ear-shattering, grating, nasaly voice best exemplified by Megumi Hayashibara who's made mad amounts of cash doing the painful voices of many horrid sounding characters (only female Ranma, Lina Inverse and Lime come to mind right now but I try not to pay much attention to anime).

The truly aggravating thing is it's not even how the people's voices sound. They intentionally make those horrible sounds. Most of them have quite nice voices when they're talking like a human instead of a cat stuck in a blender.

And it's not like you can't be a sucessful, good voice actor without sounding that way. Hundreds have done it in both game, TV show, and voice-over alike. Amano Yuri was one of the better female voice actors that comes to mind from Yuu Yuu Hakusho (Yukimura Keiko's actor as I recall). 5th most important character in the story (though until the comics entered the ankoku buujutsukai arc she wasn't very prominent after the first couple issues).

Anyway [/rant]. A lot of times the Japanese voices of a game just aren't that much better than a "bad American dub". I can think of quite a few Japanese games with worse voice staff than ANY American dub (Princess Minerva comes VERY quickly to mind closely tailed by Lunar: MAgic School...)

Back