Japanese White Saturn

Just a quick question before i decide to buy one:

Are all white Jap Saturn 21/32 pin? And if so, can I play US region games on it once it's modded? Thanks in advance for any help.

Short answer... No, 99% of white sautrns are 21 pin but some either have a 32 or 64 pin IC. However, the mod that is applied to the CD ribbon cable will not let you play US games, to do this you will have to do a switch mod to the mother board or use a pro action replay.

On a side note i have seen a picute of a white (not grey) model 1 saturn in 1996, i would love to get my hands on one of those.

Damn.... Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way to tell which Saturn's are 21/32 pin for certain? I just don't wanna take a gamble since most Saturn's are now selling in upwards of $40+ on Ebay. :rolleyes:

Well, you could ask the seller if he's willing to open it up and check it out. That's what I did, Since I first got a Round Button Saturn with 20 Pin cable. The two I got are black though.

Well, I'm happy to report that I've just received both Saturn's and have verified both machines to have 21/32 pin boards after close inspection (how ****ing lucky am I?). Soon after that, I immediately installed the mod-chip that I got from Jandaman without any problems. I then ran some preliminary tests to make sure the unit was receiving power, sure enough it was. I then placed a CD-R and, VOILÀ, the damn thing worked flawlesly... Now I'll be able to play Ikaruga Lite, AKA Radiant Silvergun, without any of that shitty slow down that's oh-so apparent on Giri Giri.

BTW, here's the 411 on both Saturn's for those of you who'd like to know:

Model No.: MK-80000A (Both)

One was Manufactured in the month of October, 1996 and the other in September, 1996. Both made in the Philippines. I'd say any Saturn manufactured in the Philippines during that time frame is a sure shot to have a 21/32 pin board, but hey... Don't take my word for it. ;)

Anyways, I've got a lot of catching up to do on games I missed out during my teenage years. Till then... Peace.

You are so damn lucky. I wish I could have been so lucky. You got two 32pin saturns for the same price I payed for one 64pin. Anyway thanks for the information, it has been added to my database.

Back