June 2015 - Magic Knight Rayearth - Sega Saturn

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
4920_front.jpg mkrcagpreviewmkII.jpg

Magic Knight Rayearth for the Sega Saturn was based off of the anime of the same name. Originally released in Japan, translated and brought to the US Europe thanks to Working Designs.

Did you ever play this gem of a game and if you did what are your opinions on it?

Owned this game a long time ago, bought it new when it came out.

Pretty fun little aRPG. Sold it when I needed money so long ago, would love to own it again but there's no way I'm paying $200 or whatever it is now. Highly recommended as it's actually fun.

Originally released in Japan, translated and brought to the US Europe thanks to Working Designs.

It wasn't released in Europe at all. This was released in North America after Deep Fear was released in Europe, which was the last European release.

By the way, I have been looking for this "UJ Final Version" and haven't found a way to get it by any mean: http://segaxtreme.net/threads/magic-knight-rayearth-uj-final-version-region-free.16645/

I know there's the previous "UJ" version which is somewhat easy to find, but it's not perfect and there are some things untranslated which were corrected in the "UJ Final Version".

Too bad all my sega hardware died meanwhile. I still have a couple of games on the shelf, Panzer Dragoon Saga for example. But no way to play them. *sigh* I miss those days. I even watched the PDS playthrough videos on YT. :)

My Sega hardware still works, though most of my games are the not-particularly-worth-anything variety these days, primarily for the earlier mentioned reason.

These days I mostly use Rom Collection Browser + Kodi + SimpleImageWrap + SSF to play Saturn games, with a usb adapter for my Saturn controller.

My friends who were fans of the Anime saw the intro and the first few minutes of the game and absolutely hated it because of the liberties Working Designs took with the Character names and what not.

Working Designs was known for that stuff. You couldn't take them too seriously, better to just enjoy it for what it is.

The "un-dub" version is interesting. All of the cinemas are Japanese, all of the text is English. I quit playing a long while back, though.

The "un-dub" version is interesting. All of the cinemas are Japanese, all of the text is English. I quit playing a long while back, though.

Yeah, but there's an improved version of the undub (the previous version has some leftover text in Japanese among other things) which seems to be lost as it was only uploaded to the old Megaupload. It's a shame it can't be retrieved back as the person who did it is nowhere to be found.

I have one of them, not sure which version it is. My upload speed is terrible though so getting it to you would be a trick.

What with current hamfisted legislation being what it is, I'll just state its name. The version of the un-dub I used was from The ISO Zone.

Again, that's the first version, not the final version done by the same person and which fixes some leftovers present in the first version.

But apparently it doesn't seem possible to track down the final version unless the orginal authour appears from nowhere and reuploads it.

Yeah, honestly at this point you might be better off finding the list of changes and trying to do it by hand in a roll-your-own sense.

Personally I wouldn't like the cut scenes replaced unless they were subtitled, but then I don't understand a lick of Japanese.

I only know enough Japanese to get the gist of what I'm hearing when I'm not watching what I'm listening to; mainly the context of discussions. Dog level understanding. But I CBA to learn proper, in spite of having a small library of Japanese language books, Kana Kana Kana, and the width and depth of the whole web. This is the problem of being killed by work.

Incidentally, the game goes completely off the rails, ditching the story of the show pretty quickly.

Back