Jurassic Sega?

You know, I read that book of his-(Timeline) and I thought the concept was cool with diverse theory on quantum physics and all. The cheesy, stupid thing was the medieval history surrounding it all. You had this awesome plot that started reminiscent of "The Twilight Zone" and then they went back in time; this was the cheesy part. Don't get me wrong, Chrichton is a genius, but in the world of video games, stick with the writers at Squaresoft and whomever wrote the "Phantasy Star" series for example. It is all propaganda with him now.

Ugh... Of everything I've seen with Crichton's name on it, only two have impressed me; ER and Twister. The few of his books I've read did not impress me in the least, and I've yet to see a single movie based on one of his books that I like (including both his Jurassic Parks and The 13th Warrior). My enjoyment of Twister, however, I contribute to Jan DeBont's fast paced direction, and my enjoyment of ER I contribute soley to John Wells.

Originally posted by alpharogue@Sep. 24 2002, 8:09 pm

Don't get me wrong, Chrichton is a genius, but in the world of video games, stick with the writers at Squaresoft and whomever wrote the "Phantasy Star" series for example. It is all propaganda with him now.

Hmm.. People throw about the term 'genius' with such reckless abandon these days. If writers like Michael Crichton are geniuses, what would you call people like Dostoeyevsky and Albert Camus?

Although I don't like his books or the movies they spawned, he obviously knows how to spin a yarn that a lot of people will enjoy. I wonder if it'll start off a craze of similar partnerships..

Why bother? Generally gamers don't seem to be interested in stories or plots other than as a way to set the stage for the game. Games with strong story-telling elements often get critical acclaim and may even enjoy initial commercial success but in the end gamers don't want to think. (Eg. Final Fantasy 7 is reported to be the most-returned game ever.) Of course it may be argued that it is the game design that is flawed, but how many actually see the story as more than a way to space the battles?

Frankly you guys are confusing this Criten thing, if you read closely enough, they say nothing about making one of his books into a game, although that is in all likelyhood, what might happen. It says Sega hired Criten, and they are working on a game concept. Which might mean, and I sure hope it does, that not only is Criten writing the stroy, but he wants to make some sot of inovative new game with Sega's help. Sega's known to lead the industry with inovation, and like it or not you must admit that Criten does have alot of creative talent. So instead of bitching and moaning about a new jurrassic park game, why don't you try and think of the many possiblities two creative intelects can think off together, and grace us gamers with. What if it becomes a runaway hit like half life? or the movie jurrasic park itself, which is not only a pretty decent movie, but one of the all time greatest sellers to date. If the game is even half as successful as JP, than it will pretty much outsell all videogames past and present.

[/quote]but how many actually see the story as more than a way to space the battles?
<inhale> Right here. Actually Story (and characters) are the only reasons i play RPG's. Just look at Xenogears...the Pinnacle in gaming (my opinion - DONT FLAME!!!) and the battles were more or less...boring. Choosing 'Fight' is about as exciting as an Episode of Oprah... But, i agree with you on the 'gamers not wanting to think' thing. It's kinda true with everything nowadays, just look at TV and Movies. They're all trivial, menial, and trite, churned out by 'Marketing experts' for the sake of money. Dont cha just love it?
happy.gif
Example: Latest Series of "Just Shoot me." What a way to murder a decent Seinfeld-clone with horrible writing (IMO).

And dont bother using the argument "Watch a movie" or 'read a frikkin book.' I know. I do. But there are significant differences between the two. Example - you will never see FF7 in Hollywood, or France, or hell, anywhere. (The wording of that last sentence was above all, poor) EVER. Becuase Film audiences will say "So he's fucked up...MAJOR...eh, just gimme George Clooney."

What then if Clooney plays Cloud? Well, i've always wanted to see him as a badass vegetable... And FF:Movie. It doesn't come close. Becuase Game stories are LONG. Agreed, some not as long as others, but range anywhere between 10-40 hours. Films cant compare unless their Ben Hur or filmed as serials...Matrix is lookin up to be a pretty fine example. So's Books are really the only viable comparison, yet i prefer them for the authors commentary about love, life and the...uh...human condition...what a cliche...Anway.

I got sick of most action games a couple of years ago...killing polygons (or in my case, Sprites) gets old...quick. That's why i can't understand the fascination with FPS's...its just kill, kill, kill or 'frag, frag, frag'...uh...This has a somewhat twisted bearing on my sig...meh.
happy.gif

Personally, i don't give much of a shite about the 'game' element anymore. Sure i love Dynamite Headdy, REZ and Sonic Adventure 2, but if Square made a game as messed up as "Being John Malkovich," gave it some sweet characters and development, made it 60+ hours with an epic storyline and deep, dark, adult themes (and i'm not talking about S&M dammit) then i really wouldn't give a rats if there was gameplay or not. Just gimme' an adult story. <exhale>

<end rant>

Sorry bout this guys (and gals...damn political correctness)

And if i've offended anyone 'print handicapped,' then hopefully I've bought enough time to escape by confusing you with this fine euphemism. :
wink.gif
:

Originally posted by antime@Sep. 26 2002, 11:09 am

Why bother? Generally gamers don't seem to be interested in stories or plots other than as a way to set the stage for the game.

Right. The player isn't going to be interested in taking time to reflect, absorb and respond to the content of a game's story. They've got other things to deal with. But nothing is stopping that stage from becoming very elaborate and driving. Why not let Crichton (That might be spelt wrong, sorry) craft a strong platform for the game to take place on, and then let sega deal with the nuts and bolts of it? Final Fantasy 3 was fun because of the stuff that the story let you do. The game wasn't deep, but you got to battle all sorts of beautifully drawn creatures on a flying airship while fighting a madman who splits the world in half because he's bloody mad and it's up to you to stop him. Story can really drive a game. Crichton knows a good story and sega knows a good game, so my hopes are up for this one.

PS Rorsach, you read comics? Sounds like they'd be right up your alley...

Back