Just a few thoughts

I've been away for the summer so I'm trying to catch up on what's been going on. Before I say anything please realize that I enjoy and appreciate this board and all the hard work and resources that go into running it. I am somewhat confused though with this new General forum rule, though.

I realize this is a video game related board and all but I think we all know there's more to life than just mashing buttons (gasp!). I've never really felt like I've fit into any online community until I came across SX. Rather than get into the mushy feelings and whatnot my basic concern is this. Most message boards have an "off-topic" section where people in the community can get to know one another in a broader scope than what the message board is related to.

I thought that's what the General forum was for. I'm not so sure now. Am I correct in understanding that there is nowhere on this board we can discuss non video game related topics? I realize there's IRC, but I've never really had good luck using it. Maybe that's just my problem.

Basically what it boils down to is this. If I want to ask people's opinion of, say, Winamp3 (which I do). Can I ask that here, or am I no longer allowed to ask about it because it isn't related to videogames? Or is it because it's capable of playing MP3s (or OGG Vorbis for those so inclined) of video game music?

Personally I think it would be a terrible shame to lose the ability to ask the opinions of this community on topics that aren't related to the site's subject matter. But, then, my name isn't on the Staff page is it?

Please, don't anyone take anything personally as I'm mearly trying to catch up on the past 2 months. Thanks.

uh oh
ohmy.gif
This thread is against the "new" General Forum rules
sarcasm.gif
*runs from thread*

im pretty sure that if u can chat about being drunk, and beating up those bastard kids around your neigborhood...than its more than fair to say u can discudd winamp 3
tongue.gif

The forum rule has changed since those two threads were started.

I also think it would be a shame to lose the ability to talk about non game stuff here, but it's not my call. ???

Originally posted by mal@Aug. 14 2002, 1:12 am

I also think it would be a shame to lose the ability to talk about non game stuff here, but it's not my call. ???

if it was your call this place would be much better, right now this place is like ski slope. a poll would be more interesting.

Originally posted by mal@Aug. 14 2002, 7:12 pm

Yep, I totally agree with you. I'm not entirely sure why the General section is now restriced to videogame only, but I can't say I agree with it. ???

Me neither... maybe a general gaming forum, and a general anything forum would be a solution to this? Personally I like getting some insight into other people's views and opinions outside of the world of videogames. With a seperate forum it would allow people who aren't interested to ignore it, then everyone's happy.

Off-topic talk is fine as long as it is in MODERATION. The threads that have been popping up lately are stupid though, and no longer acceptable. This is not 'WhiteTrailorparktrashXtreme'.

I coulda sworn that something very similar to this was attempted before... and the boards ended up crashed from it...

Or am I remembering a different circumstance?

Um, not to be an ass, but where does this stand now?

I mean, can we do off topic posts still? If the front page news can post links about stop-motion photography, why can't we talk about other things in the message board?

If you read one of my posts (too lazy to see if its in this thread) off-topic posts are entirely fine as long as it's not off the wall middle-school shit.

Back