Just getting into DDR

Argh it stopped working again. I'm not sure what the difference is. I remove the module from memory, but when I plug in the pad it finds it modprobes the module back into memory. I even moved the module like you told me to, and the pad simply doesn't work at all.

Do you know what file holds the configuration for USB devices? I figure it's a one line modification, changing what it has to modprobe from xpad to usbhid. I just can't find any such file on my box...

Are you sure the pads are identical? One of them might actually BE for xbox or something.

As for the file, check /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap ... I think that is the right file, not sure of the syntax for it though. btw, for usb sticks/pads/etc i believe you actually need the joydev module in addition to usbhid.

edit - also note that its possible your pad is sending faulty info to the kernel. If I'm not mistaken, the device id and number of axes/buttons are actually sent by the device, so if that's the case there may not be much you can do. Perhaps try asking on the linux-usb mailing list as well.

Nope still not working. I can't find a distmap file on my box. I'm attaching a screenshot of my problem, but I pretty sure it's a SuSE specific issue.

Attachments

• shot.png
    shot.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 100
Ok, the distmap file is part of the hotplug utilities, which should be there. Also on your screenshot, both devices are assigned to /dev/input/js0, which is screwy -- one of them should be on /dev/input/js1. And again, I'm 99.9% sure that both pads should be using the 'joydev' module rather than 'usbhid'. Do you have that module? If so, try this:

1. plug in both pads

2. rmmod xpad

3. modprobe joydev

If that doesn't work, I guess the next step would be recompiling the kernel and explicity specifying only generic USB joypad support.

Also note that some (weird) devices just don't work with the Linux USB stack. I have a PS-to-USB adapter that refuses to work even though the pad shows up fine with the correct number of axes and buttons.. another adapter that I have works fine. In that case I believe the probem is an unknown device id.

Also, one more thing -- before you do the steps above, can you post another screenshot of that USB info with only one pad plugged in?

it290: I should of clarified, the reason both came up as /dev/input/js0 was because I took screenshots with one pad at a time. Right now with both pads plugged in, the non-working one is js0 and is using the xpad module. The working pad is js1 and is using the usbhid module. And when I say non-working, I can still register inputs on the xpad dance pad in DDR, but I can't hit two buttons at the same, i.e. Left+Right at the same time, so it's not useful for playing DDR.

For joydev, I thought that was only for joysticks attached via the soundcard ports? I didn't know joydev did USB inputs.

I'm going to go and try to recompile my kernel but it won't be pretty...do you still want to see another screenshot? The info is exactly the same as the above shots, except for the js0/js1 stuff.

Eh nah, in that case the screenshot wouldn't be of any help.

As for joydev, I believe it is also used for regular gameport joysticks, but I know that at least on my Gentoo system, my USB joystick won't even show up without that module loaded (the device file won't exist). Of course I am using devfs, I dunno if you are or not. If you're not, you'll still have /dev/input/js0 but I think it may not work correctly. In any case, try modprobing joydev before plugging anything in and see if that helps. Do an lsmod after you've plugged in your pads to make sure joydev is still loaded. Of course it may be the case that joydev is compiled directly into the kernel already, which would also explain why you don't need it loaded.

Recompiling the kernel may help... if you're going to do that I would suggest upgrading to a newer kernel revision if you're running a somewhat old one, and also disabling the xpad module completely. You can go ahead and disable any other weird joystick modules that you won't be using as well.

Also.. don't know if you specified this earlier, but does the pad that comes up as an xbox pad do so even if it's the only pad plugged in?

Thanks for all your help man, but I'm giving up. I did everything imaginable and I still can't this other pad to work again. I used the pad for a couple of days and it stopped working, started again, now stopped. No clue what happened. I emailed RedOctane I'm going to RMA it. Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

Back