JVC X'EYE S-Video modification?

Does anyone know if it's possible to modify a JVC X'EYE to output S-Video? It seems like a likely proposition to me, since the original wondermega model had S-Video support. I've seen various posts and pages about similar modifications to Sega-made Genesis models, but not the X'EYE. Any ideas?

Open it up and see if you can trace the video output back to the encoder chip, and Google for a datasheet to see if it has luma/chroma output. The original Genesis uses a Sony CXA1145 I think, JVC might have opted for another one.

I'm also very interested in doing this.

X'eye uses the same SONY CXA1145 encoder chip (red), but the thing is there is already an S-video output pinout on the board (blue).

So I just need to solder S-video port to it, but I need to know which pins should I use for it....ExCyber, can you tell me which ones ? I can trace them back to encoder, I just don't know which ones I should connect (and I'm not so good at reading complex datasheets for chips :))

Picture of board.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 193

Originally posted by KuKzz@Feb 7, 2004 @ 08:30 PM

Picture of board.

You rule, dude, thanks for the pic. I have my X'EYE open in front of me now, and I see exactly what you mean. This mod may be a true piece of cake. Time to rip out an old female S-video port.

Originally posted by KuKzz@Feb 7, 2004 @ 08:30 PM

Picture of board.

Good god, those pads line up PERFECTLY with the contacts of the female S-video port that I just ripped out of an old, broken multi-input switch. That must be an industry standard or something. Putting in the port will be like sticking a plug in a wall outlet...well, a little more complicated, since it's hard to solder in such a tight area, but I can't complain.

Well, I couldn't get it to work, but I think that's because I really suck at soldering. :huh I just hope I didn't mess up the pads. KuKzz, let me know how it goes for you. I'm going to bed.

(next day)

I must be missing something. I've used wires to connect the pads to the corresponding leads on my S-video port, since sticking the thing straight in seems like it would be more difficult in this case. My soldering skills are pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure that the connections are all sound. I could be wrong about that, but I'm going to assume that it isn't the problem. I think I would know if I had killed one of the pads. I've tried 2 different S-Video ports from this old switch, no luck. I've tried switching the Y/C lines just in case, but that didn't do it. No matter what I get absoluetly zero response from the TV. Everything else stills works as if I hadn't touched the system, which is a relief, I guess. Any ideas, anyone?

there's a chance components (i.e. caps or resistors) are missing somewhere on the traces to the s-video port. I figure if they decided to save on the connector, they'd also save on the components.

Originally posted by Arakon@Feb 8, 2004 @ 04:37 PM

there's a chance components (i.e. caps or resistors) are missing somewhere on the traces to the s-video port. I figure if they decided to save on the connector, they'd also save on the components.

Sounds reasonable. What exactly should I be looking for, and what would I need to do if those parts aren't there?

I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but here it is. :)

Attachments

• CXA1145.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 222
  • CXA1145.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 206
  • CXA1145.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 206

Try to solder these K76x points on board (all 3 of them, just short-circuit them). They seems like zero ohm resistors...

I'll try it in next few days, gotta find S-video connector first :)

Edit: Cool japanese datasheet :)

And points - there are 3 of them, at bottom of blue square on my pic.

Originally posted by KuKzz@Feb 8, 2004 @ 08:44 PM

Try to solder these K76x points on board (all 3 of them, just short-circuit them). They seems like zero ohm resistors...

I'll try it in next few days, gotta find S-video connector first :)

Edit: Cool japanese datasheet :)

And points - there are 3 of them, at bottom of blue square on my pic.

I tried shorting them out with a large flat-head screwdriver. No luck. Any other ideas?

So exactly how did you short out three separate sets of jumper points with one screwdriver??? Try shorting them out properly with three separate jumpers.

Originally posted by g8crapachino@Feb 13, 2004 @ 03:56 AM

So exactly how did you short out three separate sets of jumper points with one screwdriver??? Try shorting them out properly with three separate jumpers.

The head of the screwdriver was wide enough to touch all three points. Look at the picture, the points he was talking about are all in a small straight line. I don't want to solder to the board unless I have to.

KuKzz, have you tried anything yet? I'm still really interested in getting this to work.

uh.. you do realize that there's no way to get a signal if you short them all 3 with the same screwdriver? you're basically mixing all 3 signals together that way, which causes a short, which causes no image and if you're really unlucky even damage to the system.

they have to be connected seperately.

Originally posted by SamIAm@Feb 13, 2004 @ 02:09 PM

The head of the screwdriver was wide enough to touch all three points. Look at the picture, the points he was talking about are all in a small straight line. I don't want to solder to the board unless I have to.

KuKzz, have you tried anything yet? I'm still really interested in getting this to work.

You better look carefully at it yourself. 6 solder points translates to 3 sets of jumpers. There is no way it would work with one screwdriver shorting all of them together. You'll either need to solder the three jumpers or figure out how to hold three seperate screwdrivers across the jumper points. ;)

You'll need to short-circuit them _separetely_, not all of them at one time.

But it's useless anyway, since they are not connected to anything....

Well, after looking at it I can say there are 3 ways to get S-Video from X'eye:

1) Quick and simple - solder 3 wires to ground and pins 15/16 of CXA1145 (Y/C for S-video plug). But this one doesn't work for me....maybe it's just my TV

2) Build something like this on X'eye main board...but this is almost impossible for my soldering skill :)

3) Solder the missing parts on board. I traced connections from S-video port to pin 15/16 of CXA1145 and there are 2 capacitors & 2 resistors missing on the way. So if you add them, I think you'll be able to use S-video connector on board. But to do this I need to know their values....and only way I can get them is from japanese JVC Wondermega 2, which is the same as X'eye and has S-video port.

So the question is - where I can find some schematics or high quality scans of Wondermega main pcb ? Or better where I can find someone who has it and can open it and look for values for me ? :)

The only place which I can think about at the moment is gamesx.com....maybe I should try to ask for help there.....

Craaaaaap.....after some searching on the net, it turned out that jap wondermega 2 has slightly different board & a Fujitsu MB3514 encoder :(

So it will not help here....and it seems that only choice left it to try method 2 (I really don't want to do it) or to solder some capacitors/resistors on the board...but I have no idea which ones should I use. Anybody know something about S-video output on CXA1145 ? :)

pin 15 goes through a 100 uF cap (positive pin to the chip) and a 75 ohm resistor, pin 16 through a 220 uF cap and 75 ohm resistor.

hey Kukzz, have you tried anything new with your X'EYE and this mod? I'm still really interested in this, but I haven't done anything else for fear that I may fry my X'EYE.

Back