Life after the Video Game Crash

Originally posted by slinga+Mar 14, 2004 @ 02:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slinga @ Mar 14, 2004 @ 02:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Quadriflax@Mar 14, 2004 @ 02:38 PM

People are stupid. They'll buy a PS3 because it's the next one after 2.

I think your missing the whole point of the article. The author is saying that people aren't stupid, and that if they don't see a reason (better graphics, better games, etc) they won't be buying the new systems. Why buy a PS3 if there's only a minimal graphic upgrade over PS2? [/b][/quote]

No I didn't. I'm talking from the POV of Nintendo and MS. I agree with most of what the editorial says, but I doubt MS and Nintendo do. So their best bet is to try and level the field and eliminate the headstart that Sony could have. People are drones, destined to buy anything with Playstation in the title. Whether a Sony console would sell as well with another name is an interesting question.

Nintendo, meanwhile, has to get by mostly on their technology and first-party titles (and a decent amount of fanboyism, much smaller than Sony's following however).

Nintendo doesn't really have much of a technology advantage. What they do have is an experience advantage. They have top-notch in-house developers to consult closely with when designing a new console where Sony and Microsoft have console development divisions that are only nominally "internal" (rebranded ex-Psygnosis/Bungie branches et. al.). They have an advisor who more or less single-handedly resurrected the home console industry. They know how to finance a console lifecycle without breaking the bank (and a healthy balance sheet to show for it).

I think Nintendo will be around for awhile. They just needto conform a little better so that they get more 3rd party support. If Nintendo goes...so does the console industry as we know it, they are the ONLY ones keeping stuff fresh these days. Not the same ol' mainstream games that are all the same and suck.

I wasn't saying they have a technological advantage, merely that they have to push that area harder in order to remain competitive. If anyone has a technological advantage, it's Microsoft.

Back