Lindows info

schi0249

Mid Boss
I have started reading up on Lindows. Has anyone here used it before? Does anyone know of a good unbiased site for reding info on software. Linux pages ususally rave about it. But I want someone who will rip on it if it sucks. I have always wanted a solid and stable alternative for gaming on.

Hmmm. I've heard a lot of BAD stuff about Lindows. But if your concern is having a stable gaming platform, maybe Windows 98 SE installed via 98 lite is for you.

my highly tuned XP Pro would :smash your 98se lite
biggrin.gif
and its all stock ms
tongue.gif
ahahahaha

I am sorry, but i loathe Real Player. that player just blows. they need the court's help! hahahahahaha

Have you even seen/used 98SE lite, man?
tongue.gif
It's surprisingly stable and efficient. I'm not disputing that XP isn't a good gaming platform - I wouldn't know actually - that said, what brought that thing about Real Player on? Ain't no Real Player anywhere in my 98SE installation... Just one of the MANY things I excluded from installation...

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Apr 29, 2003 @ 03:08 PM

If you're unsure about Lindows, why not give it a try with Virtual PC? I always use it to test out OSes avoiding the risk of ruining my current setup.

Virtual PC for Windows

There may be a similar program for Linux as well.

Uhhhh, I didn't know there was a Virtual PC for WINDOWS!!
blush.gif

Thanks!

BTW, I prefer RedHat. I've never tried Lindows.

the real player thing came from it seems to act like the wounded brain child that is the enemy of the evil windows media player which alas is far superior.

And no i haven't tried 98se lite sorry but my insane uptime is lots of fun and if you shut off all the eye candy in xp its actually faster than 98se
ohmy.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Apr 29, 2003 @ 08:36 AM

Have you even seen/used 98SE lite, man?
tongue.gif
It's surprisingly stable and efficient. I'm not disputing that XP isn't a good gaming platform - I wouldn't know actually - that said, what brought that thing about Real Player on? Ain't no Real Player anywhere in my 98SE installation... Just one of the MANY things I excluded from installation...

I've used it.

Was pretty happy with it, but once I went to 2K I was hooked.

But 98/98lite is probably better for gaming

Superior WMP?
blink.gif

Are you serious? Bloatware, resource hog, and >12MB download Windows media player? I hate WMP? I think MS tried a little to hard and crammed too much junk in this software. Don't get me wrong, Real Player is bloatware too. I'm also disappointed in the new WinAmp3.

I think everyone should use Winamp classic as an example of a great media player. It's tiny and low on resources. It also doesn't take up all of the screen's real estate!

I think the linux version is called XMMS or somethin', it's also a decent MP.

RealPlayer and WMP have one purpose for me. Movies. RealPlayer takes care of the South Park episodes and WMP anything else. Kind of a waste...

Screwing with Virtual PC Win today:

(click for teh big size)

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Apr 29, 2003 @ 12:19 AM

Screwing with Virtual PC Win today:

(click for teh big size)

Its so purrrrdy. What system requirements are needed to run it? Looks snazzy and I'm willing to try a new windows (mine is peeving me off at the moment, Win '98)

---Ammut

It's not really ready for general use. I'd stick with XP, since that's basically all Longhorn is right now. The only thing that's changed is the setup, some UI things and the beginnings of WinFS (Windows Future Storage, based on SQL)

It runs OK once you disable WinFS, otherwise it's unbearable. Since I was running it in VPC performance was limited, but I'd imagine performance is comparable to XP on a normal install.

Can't wait for that new 3D interface
ohmy.gif

EDIT: Screenshots i'd uploaded but not linked to.

Display, freecell,IE 6.05,

My Computer,

type your key,

Setup,

starting,

still starting,

welcome

Back